Will I really get Ameraucanas?

McMurray gave a very good description of what you will get. Usually if buying Ameraucanas, you will know exactly what color you are getting. This description says a variety of colors, which tells you EE.

I have a bunch of them, and love em!!!

Could someone please post a photo of an Ameraucana? It seems most of us know what EE's look like now - white with brown splashes, but what does a true Ameraucana look like?

I have some chicks from Privett Hatchery in New Mexico that were specified Ameraucana, and they look nothing like EE's!
45606_p1010027.jpg

The pullet on the right is what was billed as an Ameraucana. Certainly not an EE. But what is it?

Very attractive EE. EE can be any color. Ameraucanas have standardized colors. Do a search there are several threads on this topic.

There are lots of pictures of Ameraucanas on this thread ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=260313

These
are ten week old 2 splash Ameraucanas that I have. I also have blue & black chicks but don't have good pictures of them right now. I bought hatching eggs from a breeder here on BYC.

Pullet

P1110368-Copy.jpg

Suspected cockerel

P1110373-Copy.jpg

This picture has blue, black & splash Ameraucanas as well as some Ameraucana/Cuckoo Marans mix which are basically olive egg laying EEs. The Olive egger roos are "sex linked" & are the ones that have the white barring.

P1110074.jpg

Last edited:
you never know with hatchery birds. If youre looking for quality genetic lines and breeding then you'll need to get some from a reputable breeder.

I got black australorps from a hatchery. Although they are wonderful birds, friendly, docile, and productive, out of the 12 I had, 4 of them had yellow legs. So they are not "pure" aussies as grey legs w/yellow feet are what they are supposed to have. i dont care about purity as much as temperment and productivity, so no big deal to me what their legs look like. But if you are, look for a breeder w/a good rep in your area, and know what youre looking for before you pull out your wallet

Back
Top Bottom