Will laying be postponed?

Patoot

Songster
9 Years
Aug 20, 2010
I have 4 RIR. They aren't laying yet. No biggie. I'm in no rush. I don't really know their age except that the rancher I got them from said they should be laying by the end of September. Well, that came and went and to be honest, two don't look like they are even close to laying. One does, but she's small. Another may be close, but still has just a little comb. Anyway, that's not my question.

My question is if they are young and not laying yet, will they tend not to lay since we're going into winter? I live in NM so our winters are quite mild, but we do get cold nights. It's still in the 50's at night though now.

Just wondering what to expect.

Thanks.

Bree

In my experience with RIR they will drastically slow down in the winter but I have had a few hens that laid their first egg in the winter so it may or may not happen. Good luck.

I suspect they'll start laying at any time--winter won't delay them but once it gets cold they may slow down. When they're ready they'll lay. I had a mixed group of Comets, SS, RIR and a WR, all hatched in April--one RIR was the last to start laying.

Last edited:
Well, hopefully they will start laying in the next couple months. I would hate to have to wait until spring for anything. I guess we shall see. Thanks.

Bree

Honestly don't have experience with RIR. But I would think it's any day now. Fortunately chickens don't have calendars, so it really comes down to the length of daylight and how cold it really is. Some say use artificial lighting to get 14 hours. Maybe adding a little in the morning and a little in the evening. I would not recommend all day (24 hour) lighting. I would think with your temps you should get some eggs year around, although production would slow down.

Back
Top Bottom