Will male 'scovy ducklings grow faster ** Updated with Pic

I've always been able to sex mine by size, even at a couple weeks old it gets pretty obvious.

so far i have only had 1 'iffy' that ended up being a big girl
smile.png

drakelets

hey i think this is my new favorite word! they are just the dickens... and i think we had another growth spurt - they are really getting lovely​

Yes, indeed.

And little girls are called 'ducklets'

!!

And we must not discount Equibling's experience.

But in general, at 3 wks of age ducklets are only 65 % the weight of drakelets, and by 12 weeks, 45 -55 %. The size difference 'tween the sexes is amazing

Last edited by a moderator:
i thought i was making up words by calling them ducklets!

pic added of the Insane Duck Posse on post #1

And how I love that picture.

scovies are the best.

also, re. equibling's experience, it should be added that the rate of outgrowth of the females by the males may also be determined by genetic inheritance. For example, I have six babies now, to be four weeks old tomorrow, and they're all about the same size. There is no clear difference.

So, while in gen. the males outweigh the females by as early as 3 weeks, we must factor in the genetic inheritance from the parents. The daddies may or may not have been super-fast growers when they were..................................DRAKELETS. Woopee, your favorite word again!!!
smile.png

yay!! its still my favorite word: DRAKELETS!!!

and here is a new fun one for your.... duckling dishwasher....

we were outside and 7 of the 18 (from one clutch) were splishin and splashin in the baby pool - it was just like a duckling dishwasher!! oh the fun they were having

:) :)

The babies are so lovely. Are they chocolate colored? It looks like it.

And they will have--perhaps not with perfection, of course--the Duclair Pied color pattern, which is very attractive.

Our scovies sleep in my lap and let me pet and kiss them. I can't stand it, they're so sweet!

Back
Top Bottom