Will Mrs. Cuddlesworth be ok?????????????

goldeneggtees

Fluffy Butt Nut
10 Years
Mar 11, 2009
Long Island, NY
Hi, kinda long story. Mrs. C (she's my 9 month old B/O pullet) was broody for quite a while. Party due to my inexperience with chickens and partly due to her. She was persistent sitting on infertile eggs so I ordered fertile eggs. Unfortunately, none hatched - again due to my inexperience. I think I put way too many under her and it was too cold. Also would never use shavings again. I think the eggs got pushed onto the cold, hard floor of the nesting box, hay or straw would have been much better for brooding eggs in winter. We adore her and now she is she off her eggs since last Saturday. She gave up - poor gal and was back with her flock by Sunday. I cracked all eggs and some had been developing but then stopped. There was no chance for the eggs.

Here comes my concern. I've been taking her inside for a few minutes a day and am always making sure she has food first. Also trying to make sure they aren't bullying her into not eating. Last night while the flock was still outside, she was already on the roost by herself. Now today, she is by herself in the coop on top of the nesting boxes. What do you guys think? What can we do for her? She looks fairly decent, but maybe weak?

PLEASE advise if you can. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

Oooooh
hugs.gif
For you and Mrs. C

I'm sorry it didn't work out. Maybe she's a little confused - instinctively she probably knows something didn't work out right. Is she very thin? Do the others try to bully her a lot? It sounds like you are doing a good job of helping her catch up on her eating. As long as she's eating and drinking, she will probably be fine...just needs time to get back in the swing of things.

I have a broody girl that will sit on NOTHING in the nest for a few weeks, and then decide she's done and goes back to normal for awhile. She always does fine. I would keep an eye on Mrs C, but she will probably be just fine.

Thanks KKatknap for your concern. Yea, it's sad. I cried for awhile for her and for us. How weird is that. She tried sooooo hard to hatch her eggs and for naught.
th.gif

She's fairly thin, but will hopefully put it back on quickly (if she's anything like me, she will
wink.png
) I think she may just need some time like you said. It's sad to see her so out of sorts, she really is a sweet gal. Were you the one who responded to my post about her and Big Red getting into a fight? Well, the really funny thing is, her and Mrs. Cuddlesworth have been hanging together ever since Mrs. C is back in with the flock. I can't believe it but they seem to have bonded together after their scuffle!
tongue.png

Oh, good.
smile.png
Maybe Red will be her protector, now.

My broody girl (an Australorp) actually looks out for my SLW (who is low girl in the group). Poor Wendy Wyandotte gets picked on a lot more often when Mildred is in her broody phase!

I don't think it's odd at all that you were so sad. You were excited about the babies, and it's so easy to feel compassion for those sweet mamas. I'm going to get some eggs for Mildred, and I'm just excited at the prospect. It would be a huge let-down to go through the whole three weeks of waiting and hoping and planning and then have no babies.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom