Will Muscovy Females Fly Away?

I have male and female Muscovy ducks. Most are about 4 months old. The females are great flyers and they are quite capable of landing on the roof of my house. The boys tend to run trying to keep up. Last week I watch on of the young drakes pull his sister out of the air by her foot as she flew over him. Jerk.

I learned rather quickly to watch for them trying... while all my girls will come back to me, sugarbaby took off at night when we were still at my mom's. I drove up and down the streets looking for her. Talked to one of my neighbors, told them, and while I was out driving- he luckily saw her literally fly into the garage door of the lady across the street from us. He went to tell my mom, and ended up carrying my pit/lab back into the house cause my mom went to get sugar and Skye got out. I have never been so scared, not since I first clipped speedy's wings.

Speedy was a brat at my mom's... she flew out of the backyard the first time before the sugar episode <sugar didn't have her wings yet>, I grabbed my keys to go looking for her, opened the front door to run to my car, and there her little butt was at the door, wagging her cute little tail. She walked in like she owned the place, and went straight for the backdoor. The second time though, I went outside and she wasn't at the door and I got frantic calling her name, she landed in the neighbor's front yard two doors down, and was at their front door waiting for me to open it. When she heard me frantically calling her, she came running out of their yard and flew up onto my shoulder and wrapped/buried her head around my neck and under my shirt, shaking like a leaf.

My mom helped me clip their wings after that, and comes over to help me since then too. I'm gonna need to do it again soon because they are molting, and I live in downtown tomball, its dangerous for them to fly around here. Hawks, vultures, owls, dogs, coyotes, humans...

Last edited:
Only need to do 1, but about 7 to 9 feathers. @Miss Lydia does both. But she's a pro at it, I only do one because my mom helps me. I hold them, spread their wing, and guide her on where to cut.
I cut where line 5 is on the diagram.

I live in the country and allow my muscovy to fly. I have lots of land that allows her to free range and she stays close to the flock.

If you live in the city I suggest you keep them in an enclosed run or clip their wings. Muscovy will wander from their coop, but within city limits I don't think it's safe to free range anything.

Muscovy aren't a duck I'd suggest having if you live in the city.

Back
Top Bottom