Will my black sex link ever lay?

bochephus'-mama

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 21, 2010
West Liberty, OH
I have a Black Sex Link chicken who is now going on 6-7 months old. My other chicks I bought at the same time started laying almost 2 months ago. I know it depends on the breed but since she is a meat chicken will she ever lay? Maybe I'm just being inpatient, but I've never had a chicken start laying so late. Thanks
smile.png

I was under the impression that sex links were bred for egg production. I don't have any hens but I do have 3 black sex link roos. Are you sure that she isn't hiding eggs? I know if its anything like the red sex links it definitely should have been one of the first to lay. Is its comb red? Maybe one of the more experienced people might know more. Maybe its an it and it never will lay although I doubt it as those are few and far between. Definitely not a roo right?

BSL are production birds. They have been one of the best layers I've ever owned--will lay every day all winter and summer. Must be your hen didn't get the memo or she's hiding her eggs. Mine generally start at about 20 - 24 weeks too.

If she's black, shes a she.

Last edited:
Our BSLs started laying at 18 weeks and lay almost every single day. She is just a late bloommer maybe. Hope she lays soon

I have two, both 26 weeks old, one just started laying in the past week. The other, well, she doesn't even LOOK close or ACT close to laying. She has a tiny pink comb, no wattle, and does not squat.

Have to agree with others. I have 2 BSL's and both started laying at 19 to 20wks. Are you sure she isn't hiding them somewhere? Both of mine are laying machines, even during the cold and dark winter we had here in Carolina this past year. But I did have an EE that didn't lay until she was 9mo old.

Thanks for all the replies
smile.png
She isn't hiding them cause we do make sure we look for them underneath the straw everyday in the coop. I'm sure she's just a "late bloomer". I'm just happy to know that Black Sex Links do lay eggs, I thought maybe she never would. Thank ya'll.

Since I think I am in the same boat...maybe someone can confirm an age on my bird (Or around an age). I have determined it is a black sex link( has light brown eyes and little brown flecks on chest). I was told it was born late spring or this summer... it was a woman on a farm with lots of birds. It is still smaller and the waddles and comb are hardly there. Comb is tiny and black right now. Any ideas? When can I expect her to lay... and she wont lay until these get redder... correct? Thanks (this is 2 pics of same bird)

64297_img_3710.jpg
64297_img_3700.jpg

kristip she doesn't look ready to lay yet. Mine definitely got much redder in both combs and wattles before they started. I have 26 of them that were hatched on May 29 and they all started laying at different times starting about midOctober. In fact, judging from the number of eggs I'm getting and the sizes I'm sure they haven't all come on line yet so be patient.

Back
Top Bottom