will my chickens be happy?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by agnes_day, Jul 10, 2010.

1. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    hi!
    last summer, i would let my chickens roam the back yard, but due to several things that happened as a result, this batch is living in a fenced in area by our house..its got a big maple tree over it, which makes it shady, but there is no grass..its all dirt..can they be happy? i feel so guilty because i know they love the grass and all, but this is for their own safety. anything i can do to make them feel better?

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I have seen folks make a frame of 2 x 4s and cover the top with hardware cloth. Lay it on the ground and plant with grass seed. The chickens can eat from the sprouts but can't scratch and kill the plants.

Mine live on dirt except for the occasional free range when I'm out there. And that is in the woods, not on grass.

[​IMG] Hi!

3. tasymo

tasymo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Mulliken
    I've got a compost heap within my Chicken's run. They LOVE it. Grass Clippings, weeds and garden debris, and kitchen scraps all go onto the heap. They eat what they want and turn the rest by scrtatching for bugs underneath, while they contribute thier own fertilizer to the mix.

4. dedicateddourly

dedicateddourly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    Fallbrook, CA
    Quote:Ooh, I like this idea [​IMG]

5. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    ha, i forgot that i had my name changed and i was wondering who i was
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by