Will my chickens destroy my vegetable garden?

Clip their wings. We had 3 that made a beeline and jumped the fence every single morning. One morning we got out there before letting them out and clipped one wing of the 3 breeds that were getting out. (didn't know exactly which one it was) worked like a charm. It's been almost 2 weeks and they haven't gotten out the yard once!!!
smile.png

From my experience, the chickens did not ravage the okra, sweet potatoes or sugar cane. Garlic planted late November has green tops protruding and have not been touched. I expect that will be the same for onions and shallots. During the past summer I also planted cucuza squash which climbs up a 6' fence. I placed chicken wire against the fence to cover over the rows of 6 plants. The cucuza vines were able to evade the birds and once they achieved 3' managed to proliferate. Most were fed to the chickens, which they love. One of my friends placed some light sensitive sprayers around the edge of his garden with some success. I also purchased a solar guardian sprayer (expensive) which was intended to scare the deer in a more remote corn field, but was also employed with some success in the vegetable garden. They are of no use in freezing temperatures. Seems like a permanent fence is the answer.

Chicken.Lytle :

The short answer is yes.

Not sure if they will go after onions, shallots, leeks, or peppers but they will certainly enjoy the other things if you let them have access. I know my birds love to ransack the yard.

They will absolutely go after the peppers. The plant part of it, anyway. My chickens OBLITERATED my garden in 24 hours.​

Our chickens DEVOURED just about everything in our garden last summer -- including tomatoes ... the only vegetable plants that they stayed away from were pepper plants ... they LOVE TO DIG
ep.gif
so if there is something worth digging in the garden (like bugs), they'll be all over it
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
Chainsaws with beaks or rototillers with claws either term describes them well.
I had a grove of banana plants in my run, they cut them all down (some were a foot across) the plants are now completely gone. I had been trying to get rid of them for years without any luck.

bigoledude, I live "up the road" from you, good luck with your girls.

Back
Top Bottom