Will my chickens ever lay?

Not all of our chickens started laying at six months. They are 6+ now, and we think there are still 3 not laying. If their crowns are big and red, it is a sign of maturity. (if my facts are right) Hope they start soon!

My RIR didn't start laying until almost 28 weeks but then gave me 5-6 eggs per week even through New England winters without supplemental lighting. Follow the excellent advice above and enjoy your eggs in a few weeks!

They are about 6 months old. They have no laid eggs before, what should I be feeding them? I am in the north, ( Virginia) So it gets dark about 5pm. Should I put a light in the coop?

I have a light in my coop. It is set on a timer to go on at 5 am and then off at 8 am. Then on again at 5 pm and off at 10 pm. Six month old RIRs should be laying really good by this time. But as indicated, the other issues may be influencing them starting to lay. The light should get them started after they get settled in the new environment and new caregiver. I have a mixed flock and my White Leghorns are the first to start laying at around 4 months old. The rest tag along any time after that but all have always laid by their 5th month. For the winter, I just try to give them the amount of light they would normally get in the summer. Good luck.

Last edited:
I would give them a few weeks to a month for them to get healthy and adjusted to the new environment. I adopted 2 hens that were malnourished and it took them 1 month to start laying again.

I have a 9 month old that has not layed a egg in her life , I bought 3 chicks other two are faithful layers
any ideas on this problem

We are first timers and we got 4 chicks this Spring (Australorp, Silver Laced Wyandotte, White Leghorn, and Ameraucana). Our first of the two brown egg layers started laying an egg a day at 29 weeks, the second started at 30 weeks. The Leghorn and Ameraucana have yet to start laying. We are truly enjoying our chickens and fresh eggs. Good luck!

I have 8 hens that hatched in early May. The first egg came at 5.5 months, today the last hen laid her first egg at almost 7 months old. No supplemental lighting, but they have been well cared for since we got them. Give your new girls a chance to adapt to their new life, and gain strength. They will lay once they are healthy. Make sure they have continual access to water that is not frozen. You will enjoy their company as much as the eggs.

Not all of our chickens started laying at six months. They are 6+ now, and we think there are still 3 not laying. If their crowns are big and red, it is a sign of maturity. (if my facts are right) Hope they start soon!

I also got three ladies last May. Two weeks ago one started laying pretty much an egg a day. The other two have not. Six to seven months seems to be the time frame. Winter plays a role and their diet. They may get cozy and start laying soon but if it's cold.... Spring may be your time, patience. New environment, new people, they have to feel relaxed and at home. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom