Will my chickens ever lay?

So I am new to having chickens ( My husband is not but I want this to be mainly my thing..lol)

My sister ( who never wants anything to do with the outdoors) got 6 chics the beginning of last spring. I think she thought it would be fun for my younger niece and nephew. But as the chicken grew bigger the fun went away and when they got no eggs she realized she didnt want them anymore. She nor my brother in law never really cared for the chickens, they would go several days without feed or water. and slept in a VERY small cage all crampped together. There was maybe 2 square feet of run for them.

So I convienced her to sell me her 6 hens. My husband and I spent all weekend building a very nice coop and a really big run. There are 6 nesting boxes, 2 perches and plently of laying feed and water for them.

So my question is, Any idea when I can expect them to start laying? Is there any feed better than the other that I can feed them? Right now I cam feeding them Dumor chicken laying crumble.

Any advice will be greatly appericated.

Thanks

Also, please don't feed them layer mash.

Thank you for upgrading these hens from their previous home. I am sure they appreciate your efforts!

My RIR hen laid at 17 weeks, but she was an anomaly and not the norm. My other pullets started laying closer to 24 weeks. I have one hen that is now 41 weeks an still has not produced an egg. She too was malnourished and behind developmentally when we got her at 4 months old. We've had her for 6 months now (since June) and expected she would lay by now, but she is holding out on us. They are all so different it is hard to say when yours will lay.

The best thing to feed them would be flock raiser or a similar pellet. My hens also get lots of veggies and a few hours of free range time each day to eat grass, bugs, etc. Since they are still recovering from malnourishment, I wouldn't worry about lighting or anything like that. You can probably expect that they will lay after the first of the year when the day length starts to increase.

Enjoy your new flock!

Thank you for upgrading these hens from their previous home.  I am sure they appreciate your efforts!

My RIR hen laid at 17 weeks, but she was an anomaly and not the norm.  My other pullets started laying closer to 24 weeks.  I have one hen that is now 41 weeks an still has not produced an egg.  She too was malnourished and behind developmentally when we got her at 4 months old.  We've had her for 6 months now (since June) and expected she would lay by now, but she is holding out on us.  They are all so different it is hard to say when yours will lay.

The best thing to feed them would be flock raiser or a similar pellet.  My hens also get lots of veggies and a few hours of free range time each day to eat grass, bugs, etc.  Since they are still recovering from malnourishment, I wouldn't worry about lighting or anything like that.  You can probably expect that they will lay after the first of the year when the day length starts to increase. 

Enjoy your new flock!

Man! Your hen is a early layer! ;) how long does it take for a hen that lays those first few small, useless eggs to actually lay eggs that will be hatchable?

Last edited:
It is cold. My girls have all but crossed their legs.
I have discovered, the larger the breed. The longer it takes for them to start laying.

I agree with everyone that said give them time, good food, clean water, and they'll start laying when they're healthy.

I, personally, free range and supplement with fermented scratch grains. during the summer and ad protein to that during the winter. My chickens also have access to kitchen scraps.
You have to feed what you feel good about feeding your chickens. Different feeding regimens serve different purposes. I, personally, when I'm not fermenting feed for one reason or another, feed medicated chick starter/grower or gamebird feed.

I fed my chickens Dumor crumbles. It is probably as good as any. You can't figure chickens out. I have some chickens that didn't lay until they were 8 months. Now is the time of the year that some stop laying and some slow down. You could have chickens that won't lay until spring. Google your chicken breed and see what it says. That was real nice of you to rescue the chickens. They will reward you sooner or later. My late layers started out laying me nice sized eggs from the start. I hope you can some real soon!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom