Will my dog get sick eating chicken poo residue that has been wormed? HELP ASAP

If you want to treat tapes and are worried about your dog, go to Petsmart and get the cat or dog worming pill that has Praziquantel in it. The Praziquantel dose for chickens is 10mg per 2.2 pounds, so you'll have to do a little math. :D

If you already have Safeguard you could try to treat with it. FWIW, there is a study that says it *will* treat some tapes, but it has to be given three days in a row at 0.2ml per 2.2 pounds.

-Kathy

Hi, this sounds perfect for my chickens!!! wonder if I could sneak it in a piece of heir favorite treats lol do you by any chance know if the capsules are small enough? Thank you so so very much for the GREAT help! Julie :)

Hi, this sounds perfect for my chickens!!! wonder if I could sneak it in a piece of heir favorite treats lol do you by any chance know if the capsules are small enough? Thank you so so very much for the GREAT help! Julie :)
The pills are 5mg praziquantel and 20mg pyrantel pamoate according to the info I found on Jedds website. They are small pills, so they'll be easy to give, but the praziquantel dose I found says that chickens should get 10mg/kg, so that's two pills per 2.2 pounds. These pills have the save ingredients as Drontal, so it *can* be used to treat cats and dogs, but check with your vet regarding the dose since cats and dogs might require different amounts.

From:http://www.jedds.com/-strse-510/MEDIWORM-TABLETS-100-ct/Detail.bok
A broadspectrum deworming tablet for pigeons, raptors and galliforms. Mediworm is currently the only broadspectrum single dose, combination tablet, known of in the world. Highly effective against Roundworm, Hairworm and Tapeworm.

Extremely safe, causes no regurgitation and is very economical. The small size of the tablet makes it easy to dose. Mediworm is the golden standard in routine deworming.

Composition:
. Pyrantel Pamoate 20mg
. Praziquantel 5mg

Dosage Treatment:
. May be used in the breeding and racing season.
. Dose one Mediworm tablet per pigeon. The tablet must be dosed on an empty crop.
. In case of severe worm infestations, it is advisable to repeat the treatment after 14 days.

Available Sizes; 100 tablets."

-Kathy

Thanks Kathy you have been so helpful! Can I ask 1 more question please? How many days should we not eat the wormed chickens eggs. Thanks
highfive.gif

Thanks! I will post this question, I believe someone told me 24 days as well but that seems a bit long UGH no eggs for 24 days? Me and my chickens just want to thank you so much for all your help! Everyone on this site are all so kind to us newbies lol I will be ordering the pigeon worm capsules for my next worming. Julie

Oops sorry Kathy just one last last question. I wormed two days ago and now my neighbor has a broody hen and wants a few fertile eggs. Will they be dead or deformed if her hen hatches them? I have been just throwing the eggs out since I wormed them. I wouldn't want to give her unfit eggs. Thanks

Oops sorry Kathy just one last last question. I wormed two days ago and now my neighbor has a broody hen and wants a few fertile eggs. Will they be dead or deformed if her hen hatches them? I have been just throwing the eggs out since I wormed them. I wouldn't want to give her unfit eggs. Thanks
Some people say not to set them, but I do and haven't seen any defects in mine. Offer to give them to her with a disclaimer.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom