Will my duck wait until spring to lay?

villein

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 23, 2014
North Carolina
I have two production Rouen, a drake and a duck. Hatched February 11, so almost 21 weeks. She hasn't started laying yet. I'm wondering if she will start laying maybe next month (I've heard 6 months for Rouen.) Or, will her body hold off until spring? They're mating like crazy--feel sort of bad for them!

I don't have ducks but I believe it can take over 6 months for them to start laying. Our chickens started laying on the middle of winter so I doubt your duck would wait until next spring.

I think it might have to do with how much light and what kind of nutrition they receive, as well as weather and genetics.

What kind of food is she on? Does she have access to oyster shell? My girls started to lay between 20-22 Weeks so you have a bit of time still. Also larger birds tend to lay later than the smaller ones so don't be surprised if it takes longer. You also really should consider getting more females and are right to feel bad for her. He can over mater her and cause stress resulting in no/less eggs in addition to injury to her. Sometimes you can get away with 1:1 but it doesn't sound like it is working for your duck and you really should go for a goal of 3:1.

I'm not worried about the ratio. They are a good pair. She's the dominant one and he's relatively gentle with her. They grew up together and are inseparable.

She's on layer feed recently. I had just heard that ducks don't lay year round--that they only lay in the spring. Hoping that's not the case.

Back
Top Bottom