will my ducks be ok?

will they survive one night in that temperature? 😭
None of us really think your ducklings will be ok at those temperatures even for one night. They need some type of heat.

putting them in a bathtub is the easiest thing to do because it’s super easy to wash the poop out later. The heat pad is the next best option I can think of off the top of my head. But they either need to be out of that 28-30 degree temp or have heat if they are staying in it. Other wise there is no assurances we can give you. Sorry.

Your ducklings need to be brought inside Asap, thirty degrees is life threatning tempatures to a bird that size.Could you herd them in using a flashlight ? I would advise getting your adults off the pond too, they will be very vulnerable to predators at night, especially owls and snapping turtles.
maybe i mixed up what i was saying a little bit, the pond is big but not too big. probably around 25 feet long and 10 feet wide. there is no snapping turtles living in the pond that i know of, unless someone found a way to get in (it’s locked, u need a key to get in) and left one there. it’s also snowing though... i would get them if i could! it’s 10:30pm though and i’m a kid so they aren’t letting me out there alone right now. and they won’t go with me :( they buy all the stuff for them, but i take care of the ducks by myself and they are my responsibility. they said i can’t bring the babies in and i don’t know what i can do about it. if i were an adult, i’d let all my ducks inside, but i’m not. it’s not my choice, i just need advice.

None of us really think your ducklings will be ok at those temperatures even for one night. They need some type of heat.

putting them in a bathtub is the easiest thing to do because it’s super easy to wash the poop out later. The heat pad is the next best option I can think of off the top of my head. But they either need to be out of that 28-30 degree temp or have heat if they are staying in it. Other wise there is no assurances we can give you. Sorry.
earliest i can go out and get them is like 11am, once it’s a little warmer and my parents will let me go outside. i can’t get them any heat thing because my parents want me to stay home as much as possible until coronavirus isn’t an issue

Do you have any incandescent light bulbs in your house? If so what is the biggest size you have? You could put that in your lamp. If you have multiples you could use a desk lamp and add a second one to help. It is the only other option I can think of right off the top of my head. Maybe a bottle with hot water that you microwaved wrapped in a towel as well. But you will have to rewarm the water every two hours or so.

earliest i can go out and get them is like 11am, once it’s a little warmer and my parents will let me go outside. i can’t get them any heat thing because my parents want me to stay home as much as possible until coronavirus isn’t an issue
Well put it to them this way. They will have wasted all the money they invested in those ducklings, not to mention your time, if they aren't brought inside because most likely they will freeze to death out there. Just put them in a cardboard box by your bed. Throw out the box in the morning.

maybe i mixed up what i was saying a little bit, the pond is big but not too big. probably around 25 feet long and 10 feet wide. there is no snapping turtles living in the pond that i know of, unless someone found a way to get in (it’s locked, u need a key to get in) and left one there. it’s also snowing though... i would get them if i could! it’s 10:30pm though and i’m a kid so they aren’t letting me out there alone right now. and they won’t go with me :( they buy all the stuff for them, but i take care of the ducks by myself and they are my responsibility. they said i can’t bring the babies in and i don’t know what i can do about it. if i were an adult, i’d let all my ducks inside, but i’m not. it’s not my choice, i just need advice.

I'm sorry !

Not much you can do if they wont let you outside, Have you explained to them the consequences of leaving them out in those temps.

Can you rig up a cardboard box with gallon jugs of very hot water that the ducklings and jugs can fit in?

Hot water in gallon jugs wrapped in a towel in a box WITH the ducklings also in the box and drape a towel or blanket over top to hold the heat in.

Leave just a small gap for air on one edge away from the jugs.

You can ask your parents to irder what you need through amazon. Might save you a few bucks too if they won’t go out and get it or let you.

Do you have any incandescent light bulbs in your house? If so what is the biggest size you have? You could put that in your lamp. If you have multiples you could use a desk lamp and add a second one to help. It is the only other option I can think of right off the top of my head. Maybe a bottle with hot water that you microwaved wrapped in a towel as well. But you will have to rewarm the water every two hours or so.
i would do that but i need to sleep because i have to start online school for the next month early in the morning

Back
Top Bottom