1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will my EE's lay blue eggs? pics

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by luvmy33chicks, Nov 25, 2011.

1. luvmy33chicks

luvmy33chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Long Island
    Was told these 3 were Ameraucana's. They were bought from a hatchery and i adopted them. I am aware they are EE's. I would like to know what the lighter ones color is called and if they will lay blue eggs. They hatched in April and still no eggs as far as I know unless they are laying brown like some of my other girls. No squatting yet either. Although 1 was checking out the nesting boxes yesterday

This is the light colored one. single combkind of green/slate colored legs
    [​IMG]

this one has greenish legs and pea type comb
    [​IMG]

this one has slate legs and single comb
    [​IMG]

2. luvmy33chicks

Aug 19, 2011
    Long Island
    just took a closer look the green leeged one has the more single thick comb and the slate legged one has the pea type of comb

3. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

cute pics!!! very pretty birds. I've read that some ee's will lay brown eggs, but wishing you luck!

4. luvmy33chicks

Aug 19, 2011
    Long Island
    thanks have my fingers crossed

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I cannot see the comb on teh first bird-but she appears to be an EE--if they have pea combs -they all should lay colored eggs-should being the key word...

6. luvmy33chicks

Aug 19, 2011
    Long Island
    Quote:the first one has a regular single comb and no beard
    the other 2 ones comb is single but kind of thick and one has the pea comb

7. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

I love that big bearded one!! so adorable!!! I have a feeling you're going to get them colored eggs. lol.

8. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    Getting a first egg from an Easter Egger is a bit like opening a Christmas present. You see the pretty package but you just don't know what's inside until you open it. [​IMG] In my experience, Easter Eggers are often slow to mature, like Ameraucanas. I have EE's and Ameraucanas that aren't laying at 30-weeks!

9. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY

The first one you will get a brown egg from-the other two -colored eggs--They have pea combs-one just has a bigger raised one...

EE's are created in many different ways-when they hatch-all straight combed ones will produce brown eggers-all pea combs-colored eggs. There is less than a 3% chance of getting a colored egg laid from a hen with a straight comb-but it does happen...

10. luvmy33chicks

Aug 19, 2011
    Long Island

The first one you will get a brown egg from-the other two -colored eggs--They have pea combs-one just has a bigger raised one...

EE's are created in many different ways-when they hatch-all straight combed ones will produce brown eggers-all pea combs-colored eggs. There is less than a 3% chance of getting a colored egg laid from a hen with a straight comb-but it does happen...

thank you very much for the information
    brought my hopes up in finding that first blue/green egg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by