Will my Hen and Rooster Accept A New 10 Week Old?

Aug 25, 2023
Priceville, AL
My Coop
My Coop
So I am getting a new baby silkie, a hen, and I need to know if my 20 wk old hen and rooster will attack her and if it's ok to integrate her into the coop at that age. I don't have a separate coop for her to go in if she isn't liked, I'd just have to keep her in the coop with food and water, though it might be possible to keep her inside. It's currently fall here, a nice temp, and I'm excited to get her soon. But I am worried, if they attack her then she might die (Duh) and I really don't want that (Duh). I will need to get her chick food as well, is it ok if the others eat that? This is really worrying for me and you guys seem to know more than google does about new babies. I'll appreciate any answers you can give. Thanks! :) 💕

So, if you could somehow get her into a "look don't touch" situation in the coop or a predator proof run, that would go a long way in making the intros go well. This can be accomplished by a dog crate or cage of some sort, or a creative use of fencing. Just keep her somewhere they can see her with food and water for a week or two, but make sure she is safe from predators at night.

You also could add her and then just watch closely. How it will go will usually depend on the birds temperaments, but there will be some level of hazing of a new member, since they need to establish the pecking order again. That way is risky, because chickens can be really violent without warning, so I would do the look don't touch if you can.

Although some hens aren’t aggressive towards new baby’s , it’s not always the case. And roosters aren’t the exception. I wouldn’t put them together yet. If there’s a way you can slowly introduce them with cage between them but even then… I would ether build a coop for the baby for buy one. Unless your ok with the possibility of her getting killed.

Also adding a single bird is the toughest form of integration - can you possibly get two?
I wish; the person is only giving me one. I can't build / give her another coop, but I could possibly keep her indoors at night. She's actually laying, so she'd have to stay in the coop, which might pose a slight problem. Apparently she's actually 10 months old, as 10 week old silkies don't lay at that age. If she's laying and has to stay in the coop, she might have to stay in there, but idk where the other two would sleep. I'll work it out, but it's going to be tough!

It is so odd, some intros go super well, some go terribly. You just have to have a couple days where you watch closely to judge how safe it is or not.
Yeah. So my plan is that for the weekend, the first few days, I'll be with her a lot, sitting with her and making sure that she doesn't get pecked on by the others. I'll keep her in the smaller run (I have a smaller closable run that opens up to a larger one) and the others can be in the larger run. I'm worried about the sleeping arrangement though; there's only one coop and the only other place she could sleep is inside. I'm so excited to get her, but so scared. Thank you for the help though!

Apparently she's actually 10 months old, as 10 week old silkies don't lay at that age.
If she is actually 10 months old, it might go better. She will still be only one and the newcomer, but at least she will not be younger as well.

I will need to get her chick food as well, is it ok if the others eat that?
Yes, it is fine for adult chickens to eat chick food. Just make sure there is a separate dish of oyster shell to provide the extra calcium for any hens who are laying. Chickens are usually pretty good at eating the right amount of oyster shell to meet their calcium needs: more for layers, less for growing chicks or males or non-laying hens.

(Just answering it so you know the answer for next time. If the new bird is already an adult and laying eggs, of course she can eat the same food you are already providing for your others.)

Back
Top Bottom