Will my mature hen be ok on growers pellets?

hebe5

Songster
6 Years
Aug 19, 2016
UK
Hi there,

I recently lost one of my two hens so have bought four new pullets to keep the remaining hen company. The problem obviously is that the pullets are on growers. I'm keeping them separately at the moment in sight of each other but introducing them for a short time every day. Do I have to keep them apart until the pullets are able to go onto layers or would it harm my hen if she ate growers as well until the pullets are ready for layers pellets?

Hi there,

I recently lost one of my two hens so have bought four new pullets to keep the remaining hen company. The problem obviously is that the pullets are on growers. I'm keeping them separately at the moment in sight of each other but introducing them for a short time every day. Do I have to keep them apart until the pullets are able to go onto layers or would it harm my hen if she ate growers as well until the pullets are ready for layers pellets?
I keep all on flock raiser* with oyster shell on the side for those that need it.

*Very similar to grower.

Your whole flock will be fine with grower, but crumble may be more appropriate for the little ones.

I keep all on flock raiser* with oyster shell on the side for those that need it.

*Very similar to grower.

Your whole flock will be fine with grower, but crumble may be more appropriate for the little ones.
It's all very confusing. I've adults which have permenant access to layers, and some 2 - 3 month olds who live with them. The young ones have access to crumble, but, obviously, also eat the layers.

Not too long ago, I read that layers can be harmful to roosters (not sure if it was kidney problems). I've a NHR rooster living with the hens, and he loves layers pellets... what else could he eat? There's no way around it, from how I see it!

It's all very confusing. I've adults which have permenant access to layers, and some 2 - 3 month olds who live with them. The young ones have access to crumble, but, obviously, also eat the layers.

Not too long ago, I read that layers can be harmful to roosters (not sure if it was kidney problems). I've a NHR rooster living with the hens, and he loves layers pellets... what else could he eat? There's no way around it, from how I see it!
All flock/flock raiser or starter/grower with oyster shell on the side for the ones that need extra calcium is fine for the whole flock. My flock raiser is a crumble and the flock gets fed that the whole of life. Check the nutrient tag, basically a 1% calcium feed will be suitable for all.

All flock/flock raiser or starter/grower with oyster shell on the side for the ones that need extra calcium is fine for the whole flock. My flock raiser is a crumble and the flock gets fed that the whole of life. Check the nutrient tag, basically a 1% calcium feed will be suitable for all.
Thanks, i'll do that.
Flock raiser is a new one on me, I've only seen growers and layers over here. I'll check the nutrients on the tags.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom