Will my young chickens accept new chicks

goatsandchicken

Hatching
7 Years
Jul 2, 2012
I bought Americauna, Barred rock and Buff Orpington pullets hatched 5/22 (picked them up 5/23). Also 5 Americauna Bantam S/R. We decided we wanted a couple more good egg layers and got 2 laced silver laced Wyanadotts (sp) today. The silvers are suppose to be two weeks older, but when they got here they were only the size of the bantams and not fully feathered like all of mine. The ones I have had are picking on the new ones. What do I need to do or will they work it out??
Thanks for your help!

I just went through a similar situation. I have 11 young hen and 1 roo that I purchased mid Arpril. Around the last week of May I purchased 3 barred rock, 2 red stars, and an americuana and they were 2 days old. I kept the them inside in a brooder box until the feathered out more and also to quarintine them from the other birds for a while. The I took the new additions and tranferred them to a brooder box made out of hardware cloth that I have attached to the outside of my chicken coop low enough for the older chicks to see them when they came out but were not able to touch them..I did this for about 2 weeks and then this past Sunday I let them out and really didn"t have a problem with them being picked on too much, There was minimum pecking, but could be expected since establishing the pecking order is normal.

Back
Top Bottom