Will owls kill ducks?

Duckchick2011

Songster
8 Years
Apr 17, 2011
Louisiana
I need an answer quick. There are two owls in the tree right above my duck pen. I'm not really sure how big they are but I hear both of them making quite a ruckus out there(probably about barn owl size) I mean I know hawks are definite trouble but should I be seriously concerned about the owls?...I mean my ducks have cover but they are about as dense as wood when it comes to trouble. Honestly, they're just out there goofing around like they don't have a care in the world. I'm seriously considering bringing them in for a bit(there are only 3) but I don't want to go into "disaster mode" with out a probable cause...ya know?

Quote:
I think they could. But if your ducks have cover I dont see any reason to worry. Good luck!

DUCKGIRL89

YES. Owls have been known to kill many ducks. Bantam and Large Size. However, if you pen is properly covered you have nothing to worry about.

Quote:
Sorry, not trying to hijack this thread, but kevin, what happend to your other mallard? I thought you had three? (i looked in your signiture)

Last edited:
Quote:
Sorry, not trying to hijack this thread, but kevin, what happend to your other mallard? I thought you had three? (i looked in your signiture)

I lost my other two to being trambled by my Guineas. The first time I thought it was a predator but the second time I realized what was happening. Needless to say I no longer have my guineas.

Awww, im sorry
hugs.gif
that sucks. So do you have a male and a female then?

Thank you. And yes I only have a pair now. There in with my one Call female.

I think you would only need to worry about the larger owls...
Do you know what kind of owls they are?
Screech owls have a terrifying sound, but are quite small. Great Horned Owls are probably the biggest predator of large fowl. And there are the Barn Owls, which dont look to me to be a big killer of ducks, unless they are smaller type of wood duck.... But dont know much about ducks.
hu.gif

Quote:
Well, atleased you have a pair and you can hatch eggs. Totally sucks when you loose a pet
sad.png
Ive lost a total of three ducks this year. All of them were my favorites to
sad.png

Quote:
Well, atleased you have a pair and you can hatch eggs. Totally sucks when you loose a pet
sad.png
Ive lost a total of three ducks this year. All of them were my favorites to
sad.png

True. Sorry to hear about your loss
hugs.gif
. This year I've only lost my two mallards but last year was a lot worse. Hopefully next year I won't have any.

Back
Top Bottom