Will pea gravel hurt my ducks feet?

Thanks all for the great ideas and advice. I am thinking I can put some grass clippings (non-fertilized and pesticide free) down in an area or grass hay that I can later compost. I still want to use rock or pea gravel by the water though. thanks again

Quote:
OOooooo! I think I'm stealing this idea. I was wondering what to do in the floor of the run also, would like something compostable but not sure how that would work around their water/pool. I think the grass clippings/hay would be great with pea gravel around the water. I'd love to see pics if you get yours done soon. I won't be starting on my run for a few wks still.

Amiga gave me the grass idea (thanks), I didn't come up with that smart idea on my own. You might beat me to the finish of ducky pen construction! I won't have a finished pen until late May:( Who ever gets done first, lets submit photos. Cheers

Quote:
OOooooo! I think I'm stealing this idea. I was wondering what to do in the floor of the run also, would like something compostable but not sure how that would work around their water/pool. I think the grass clippings/hay would be great with pea gravel around the water. I'd love to see pics if you get yours done soon. I won't be starting on my run for a few wks still.

I'm having issues with a ton of sand in my pool. I l will clean the pool and it's black within 2 hours. So frustrating. I want to use maybe pea gravel or tumbled river stones, I'm thinking if I can walk on it barefoot without problems they should be ok. What do you think. Also, tumbled river stones is a stone I never heard of but have read it's like pea gravel but with even softer edges

I'm having issues with a ton of sand in my pool. I l will clean the pool and it's black within 2 hours. So frustrating. I want to use maybe pea gravel or tumbled river stones, I'm thinking if I can walk on it barefoot without problems they should be ok. What do you think. Also, tumbled river stones is a stone I never heard of but have read it's like pea gravel but with even softer edges

Before you lay down river rock or pebbles lay some landscaping material down that way the ducks won't be mixing the rocks with the soil. I put pavers down under my pools it does keep them from rooting in the dirt around the pool but I can't say it keeps the pool any cleaner ducks are just messy critters. I think mine walk to their pools with a mouth full of whatever and use the pool water to rinse it out.:rolleyes:

Before you lay down river rock or pebbles lay some landscaping material down that way the ducks won't be mixing the rocks with the soil. I put pavers down under my pools it does keep them from rooting in the dirt around the pool but I can't say it keeps the pool any cleaner ducks are just messy critters. I think mine walk to their pools with a mouth full of whatever and use the pool water to rinse it out.:rolleyes:
Lol, right, yeah, I did Thier pool 2 hours ago, it's already going brown. I can't keep up with it. Ok. Ty for the advice. I will do

Hi all,
I want to put a thick layer of pea gravel in my ducks (future-soon to be constructed) enclosed pen so that I can spray the poop to the ground. I prefer pea gravel over sand as it won't wash away as easily. The girls will have a little house bedded with grass hay if they want to be inside. Does anybody have any experience with this?
Thanks
I saw on a show pea gravel got imbedded in ducks foot and caused her to limp. They took her to the vet and he surgically had to remove it , then she was able to walk.

Back
Top Bottom