Will pullet eggs hatch??

GirlsHuntToo

Professional Chicken Chaser
Jul 18, 2023
The Keystone State
My little Midnight Majesty Marans - Pepsi, Midnight, and Fuzzy - just started laying 3 days ago. I am planning a hatch - be prepared for a hatch - a - long coming. When I start the thread, I will post link here.
Anyway I really want to start adding those genes to my flock - and don't worry - when I ate them this morning they have that fertile dot. Would they hatch and be successful in doing so?

If they are fertile, then yes, there's a good possibility that they will hatch. But. Pullet eggs are usually smaller and there's a good possibility that chicks will be smaller, weak and may not thrive as well.
Try and see if you wish.
Thanks! I think I'm going to try because I have had one pullet egg - that was an experiment egg - did hatch and was wondering if it was a wim that it even hatched.

9 of the eggs I hatched in December were from pullets who had been laying for 3 months. The eggs were a good bit bigger than when they had first atarted laying. The chicks are all doing great..

I've got one of my pullets first 13 eggs in incubator only because I just lost her on the 2nd to I believe a hawk. No sign of her missing.
I didn't want the woulda/shoulda/coulda losing her genetics.
It's recommended to wait til 8 months old minimum to start hatching eggs...growth and vigor, unforeseen health and genetics that show as they grow are some issues.

I'm curious what breed rooster you used over your MMM's? I've got 3 MMM's in incubator along with 2 Olive Eggers in also. I lost my only MMM hen last summer and wanted more. She was a special girl.

I'm curious what breed rooster you used over your MMM's? I've got 3 MMM's in incubator along with 2 Olive Eggers in also. I lost my only MMM hen last summer and wanted more. She was a special girl.
Black Australorp x Rhode Island Red - Jack will be breeding with them.
Buddy is so old that he's not breeding anymore. My Silver Laced Wyandotte was hit by a car and we had to put him down.

I incubate pullet eggs all the time! I actually am assuming a lot of hatcheries do as well. They hatch perfectly fine just a little smaller!
I’m thinking in order to make you think the chicks are a day old when you purchase at farm stores they are totally using pullet eggs. You can tell when you hatch your own that the stores that have “chick days” or whatnot well those chicks look like 1-2 week olds. Didn’t realize until I started breeding my own. Chicks have to be in an incubator for 12-48 hours after hatch to dry out and for myself I don’t give away any chicks until they are at least 2 weeks old and I know they are healthy thriving with no issues.

Back
Top Bottom