will she abandon the chix?

petslover

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 10, 2013
Well i have a cochin bantam hen that was setting on 10 eggs among which i removed 9 because they were dud eggs.now one is supposed to hatch on 4th march but i sneaked 7 chicks under the hen.will she abandon her egg? Or should i remove 7 chix tht she has adopted.kindly guide me plz

my experience (with my banty) is when she went broody and was sitting on eggs she waited till about 4 eggs hatched and left the rest, I guess she didn't want to be a mother to more than 4, she didn't give the other eggs time to finish hatching. now what ive heard from others is they will still take chicks and sit on eggs at the same time until everything has hatched. I have not been lucky enough to have this happen to my chickens but some are lucky enough, so I would have to say that it just depends on the temperament of your bird, it will be a gamble so the only real way to know is to let her tell you. (not through words just by observing her lol)

M only concerned with the life that is inside the egg would be wasted if she abandons it.nd if i separate the chix they will die as i dont hv incubator

yea I know I hate loosing animals,
some birds will do it and some birds wont you will just have to follow your heart and do what you think is the best, if your a gambler leave them there and whatever the outcome you will know what if anything you need to do different next time. if you have question and don't feel right about it then pull em n do it the way that would be the safest for the animals...

Back
Top Bottom