will she ever sit on them>

duckgurl1

Hatching
8 Years
Oct 11, 2011
I have a duck that is gray with a crest on top of her head she is female, i also have a solid white pekin drake. i have seen them breed for the past couple of weeks and she has now laid 21 eggs. however she is not even shown an urge to sit on them. should i give her more time or start gathering eggs? advise please.

How old is she? I find my girls usually don't go broody (the few that do) until they are at least two years old and then in the spring, not the fall.

What sort of duck is she?

My experience may not be the same as everyone's, I'm sure that breed of duck, climate, feed, etc. play a large part.

Depending on the duck, she might not go broody. Then again like Carol said, it will depend on the duck. My muscovy hen layed 21 eggs before going broody. One hen layed 14 and one 12. See where I am going with this.

In the same boat.. mine has laid 17 and 11 are in the nest she sits on them sometimes
hu.gif
! Runner duck @ 7Mths old she looks like she has alot more to go...

She may or she may not. 21 is far too many to brood anyway. Mark the eggs as she lays them and remove the oldest periodically.

she is approx. 7 months old. i got her for easter at atwoods. not sure exactly what type of duck she is. the closest thing i have found to look like her is a blue swedish duck. i need to upload some pics but am still rather new at all this. thank you all so much for your input, it is much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom