Will Skipping Grower Feed a Major Issue?

jumbocoturnix

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2016
Is it really an issue if I skip grower feed and go straight to layer in regards to Bobwhites? They are 11-14 weeks old. Only intention are meats, eggs & breeding.

Pretty hard on thier kidneys while they're growing, the calcium is too high
1f60a.png

I believe so, around here the feed is called turkey starter/ game bird grower and its 28% protein and low mineral content so you're probably good with a 30% grower ration

Awesome thanks! I will try that, also heard on forum several people don't recommend layer feed to quails b/c will damage male kidneys.

Last edited:
Yep, it's too high for the females too while they're growing, just figure giving an adults multivitamin to a child, it'd be hard on thier little body.

I feed egg layer to my coturnix quail it doesn't hurt them. I feed my bob whites growth and plumage when they are older and turkey starter when they are young. I give them the starter until 18 weeks of age and them switch to the Purina game bird growth and plumage.

I believe so, around here the feed is called turkey starter/ game bird grower and its 28% protein and low mineral content so you're probably good with a 30% grower ration
Does anyone know any brands (turkey starter/ game bird grower) I can purchase either online or at stores?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom