Will smaller breeds of hatching chicks get smothered by the larger breed hatching chicks under a broody hen?

downekc09

Songster
Jan 20, 2021
I have a broody hen sitting on some eggs I ordered. Tomorrow is hatch day, yay!! I just have a little bit of concern though, that I am not sure if I should worry about or not. The broody hen is a Wyandotte. The eggs under her are frizzled mixes and frizzled Seramas. Will the seramas get smothered by the mom or other larger chicks since they are a smaller chicken breed?

I do have another broody hen that is a smaller chicken breed, I believe a small Cochin. Should I transfer the tiny eggs to her?

Or do I just not touch a thing and let mother nature take its course? Haha!

Thank you!!!!

Attachments

• 20220523_194944.jpg
    20220523_194944.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 20220525_221729.jpg
    20220525_221729.jpg
    480.2 KB · Views: 2
I would worry about the wyandotte crushing the seramas. Even the bantam might have problems. But if she is the smallest broody you have then she is your best bet. An incubator might be the best course of action. If she hasn't crushed the eggs yet that is a good sign though.
ETA the eggs should be OK, the problem would be the tiny chicks getting stepped on. I should have said brooder not incubator.

If you have a smaller broody, I'd move the smaller eggs under her. A mother hen occasionally accidentally steps on her own chicks, so having smaller chicks can be dangerous. Other than that, I'd be willing to experiment with it, but there is that danger. My best advice would be put the smaller chicks under the smaller broody and get the bigger broody Standard sized eggs.

I have a broody hen sitting on some eggs I ordered. Tomorrow is hatch day, yay!! I just have a little bit of concern though, that I am not sure if I should worry about or not. The broody hen is a Wyandotte. The eggs under her are frizzled mixes and frizzled Seramas. Will the seramas get smothered by the mom or other larger chicks since they are a smaller chicken breed?

I do have another broody hen that is a smaller chicken breed, I believe a small Cochin. Should I transfer the tiny eggs to her?

Or do I just not touch a thing and let mother nature take its course? Haha!

Thank you!!!!
So here's another question then... if I do decide to use the cochin, do I move the eggs tonight when it's dark (before hatch day), or wait until small chicks hatch (fingers crossed) tomorrow/next day, and then sneak those chicks at night to the cochin? Because I do have a heat lamp and brooder ready for any chicks that need help/separated during the day tomorrow.

I would worry about the wyandotte crushing the seramas. Even the bantam might have problems. But if she is the smallest broody you have then she is your best bet. An incubator might be the best course of action. If she hasn't crushed the eggs yet that is a good sign though.
ETA the eggs should be OK, the problem would be the tiny chicks getting stepped on. I should have said brooder not incubator.
I think the wyandotte hen should be okay.... she has hatched before, and it a really good protector. But I worry about her stepping on the tiny ones. :( I should have paid more attention before I set eggs; I was just thinking about this today! :hmm

Sometimes really large hens inadvertently step on and/or inadvertently injure chicks. A lot depends on the nature of the hen. I would be reluctant to mess with her at this point in the game.
I'm wondering if it is best just to leave her at this point. She is a super good, protective hen and has hatched for us before!

If you have a smaller broody, I'd move the smaller eggs under her. A mother hen occasionally accidentally steps on her own chicks, so having smaller chicks can be dangerous. Other than that, I'd be willing to experiment with it, but there is that danger. My best advice would be put the smaller chicks under the smaller broody and get the bigger broody Standard sized eggs.
Another thought I had was to move maybe 2-3 serama eggs to the Cochin, so if the Wyandotte is too rough or steps on them, the cochin could raise the others? And hopefully between the two hens, I'll get some seramas raised!

Back
Top Bottom