1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

will the cost offset.....

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jrsqlc, Jan 19, 2010.

1. jrsqlc

jrsqlc Obsessed with Peafowl

Dec 22, 2009
    Northwest Ohio
    i have been thinking about switching from the tsc 16% layer, to purina 18%layer. The purina is 12.49 a bag where as the TSC is 11.49 for 50#'s.

My questions are:
    With living in ohio near the michigan border with a current temp of 20, would the 18% be better for the hens? who are all laying right now!
    Will they consume less feed seeings as it is a higher protein? If they consume less feed i need the bags to last 2 days longer to offset the dollar difference in brands.
    Which of the 2 is the better feed?

2. Janos&Jen

Janos&Jen Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2010
    Spring Hill, FL
    I would stick with purina from what I hear.

3. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Purina Layena is 16% also didnt know purina made a 18%

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:Yeah that.

Purina Flock Raiser is 20% though, comes in a green bag. Costs about $1 more than Layena 16% which is in the blue bag.

5. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    I have used both, as I have rosters also I use the flock feed but I really don't think there is a big difference as far as my hens are concerned. You can add more protein by feeding them eggs, meat, yogurt, cheese, ect. But as they say; if it isn't broke ,don't fix it. your hens are happy or they wouldn't be laying . You could always try it for a few weeks , if no change switch back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by