Will the drake attack the new ducklings?

TheReadyBoys

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 2, 2012
P.E.I, Canada
I know that drakes don't like ducklings, but if they are newly hatched in the pen will the mother take really good care and not let the drake near them? Or should I make a brooding pen for her? The eggs could hatch any day!

Some drakes are fine with ducklings, and others are not. How he interacts with the ducklings will depend on the temperament of the individual drake. You might want to keep an eye on his behavior or temporarily remove him until you can do so.

Ok, there is another drake duckling that runs around with him and one of the females during the day. He used to chase him, but doesn't seem to do it that much. I guess the mother will be very protective of the ducklings too.

Yes the mother should be very protective around any other ducks and drakes. I had a Muscovy that actually killed a dog bc he got in the pen with the babies and her.

It depends on the drake and the size of the pen or area where they're kept. If there's plenty of room, mama will usually watch over and defend them and the drake will mostly ignore them. But, some drakes are duckling killers, so it's best to keep an eye on them. I've seen where drakes will be fine with young ducklings, but when the ducklings get older and start to feather out, the drake will begin nipping and chasing the ducklings. And, vice versa, some drakes attack small ducklings but ignore the larger ones.

It depends on the drake and the size of the pen or area where they're kept. If there's plenty of room, mama will usually watch over and defend them and the drake will mostly ignore them. But, some drakes are duckling killers, so it's best to keep an eye on them. I've seen where drakes will be fine with young ducklings, but when the ducklings get older and start to feather out, the drake will begin nipping and chasing the ducklings. And, vice versa, some drakes attack small ducklings but ignore the larger ones.

The last ducklings I had this happened exactly. He ignored them until they got older, so they should be fine. But I got the ducks a few days after the ducklings hatched so I am not sure if he wasn't chasing them because they all moved to a different home. Although, even then, the mother was very protective of her young.

It also varies by breed. I have mallards and Pekins, and my mallard dad's take very good care of their young. I have a separate family coop I keep new hatchlings in with the mom and dad. I would let the male out into the yard each day, and he would always come back and be waiting by the door to be let back into the family coop. But I have heard Pekins can be aggressive, so it all depends on the breed and individual duck.

Back
Top Bottom