Will the eggs be ok?

Johnn

Crowing
8 Years
Sep 5, 2011
I have a broody chicken sitting on 3 Call Duck eggs. She's in a shed which is quite poorly ventilated and doesn't let light in, so today I thought I would be nice and shove a bit of wood side ways in the pop hole to hold it open but make it so none of the hens could get into disturb her. Well when I went back up to see them later on, she had pushed her way through the wood and got locked out the shed! The eggs were cold. They could have been left from anytime between 9.15AM and 5.15PM. Do yous think they still have a chance to hatch? She's now sitting tight on them again. I candled them yesterday and all 3 were fertile. She has been on them for about a week.

Hens frequently get up to eat etc so with that in mind if she was only locked out for a few hours then the eggs should be fine. Longer and the hatch rate will suffer and all you can do is hope for the best. While I don't have experience with this I have heard many stories of power cuts on an incubator and the eggs pulling through, so you should still get a few ducklings.

Hope that helps :)

Hens frequently get up to eat etc so with that in mind if she was only locked out for a few hours then the eggs should be fine. Longer and the hatch rate will suffer and all you can do is hope for the best. While I don't have experience with this I have heard many stories of power cuts on an incubator and the eggs pulling through, so you should still get a few ducklings.

Hope that helps
smile.png
Thank you! I really hope they hatch!

Back
Top Bottom