Will the spurs grow back?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by andrew6d9, May 18, 2011.

1. andrew6d9

andrew6d9 Chillin' With My Peeps

when i have to take my roosters' spurs off and i use the plier twisting method will the spurs grow back?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, because you only remove the outer sheath when you twist off with pliers.

3. andrew6d9

andrew6d9 Chillin' With My Peeps

thank you

4. ketcham

ketcham Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Marshallville,Ohio
    OK ,,I'm new at this.How do you get rid of spurs then.Eat the guy??? Kevin

5. Shyke

Shyke Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    Quote:Instead of cutting them, which is dangerous, you can take a pair of pliers, place them at the base of the spur near the leg, and twist until they come off. It removes the outer sheath of the spur leaving a much smaller spur underneath. I do this to all of my roosters.

Just make sure to keep him away from other chickens/heat until he stops bleeding, which won't take very long. [​IMG]

6. carolinasculpture

carolinasculpture Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Hi! At about what age can you remove the spur coat? Do I wait until it is full grown? How often will I need to repeat the process? Thanks!

7. Shyke

Shyke Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    Quote:I don't usually judge it by age but more by size. In fact, I have some roosters that are around five years old and because their spurs never really got big I never had to do anything about them.

8. smk2010

smk2010 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2010
    Shyke ~ do you have any pictures of what the spurs look like immediately after you remove the outer sheath of the spur??

Before and after pictures.... I want to know what to expect before we give it a try.

9. crazygoatlady915

crazygoatlady915 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Idaho
    Yessiree they will! You will have to remove them about once a year

10. Shyke

Shyke Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    Quote:Not off hand, but I'll go and check if my roosters need their spurs to be clipped.
    If there are any I'll make sure to take some photos and upload them here. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by