will they lay this year?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by steve25, Aug 12, 2010.

1. steve25

steve25 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2010
    riley, michigan
    i have 3 pekin hens that i raised from babies since march and wondered if they will lay eggs this year?

2. Born A Duck Lover

Born A Duck Lover Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2010
    Western Oregon
    Yes, they probably will if they haven't started already. Have you given them a layer ration or otherwise encouraged them to lay? I know my ducks have always started laying at around 20-24 weeks, but I know from reading other posts here that some ducks will start several weeks earlier.

3. CricketYang

CricketYang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Mason, MI
    One of my April hens just laid her first egg today! I'm sure they'll lay any day now.

4. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

My call girls were born march 15 and last thurs one of them laid her first egg... and one a day since. The othe one hasn't yet tho..
    I have a bowl of oyster shells (free Choice) and she chows them down... her eggs are perfect..

5. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Don't give up, I am still waiting on my Muscovy Girls hatched in March. My Drake from that hatch is active and fertile so the girls will be a few weeks later. (2 hens sat 2 different nests at the same time, hatching days apart).

Last year their parents didn't start laying until September and they had a clutch of eggs the end of the year to hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by