Will this broken beak grow back?

SarahGfa

Crowing
6 Years
Jan 26, 2018
My rooster broke his beak while doing rooster stuff. That happened two weeks ago, but it doesn't look like it is getting better. How long does it take for a beak to grow back? Here is a picture taken today. His face is messy because he has been eating wet food. He is eating very little since the injury, and has lost weight.

If it will not grow back, should I file the lower beak to match the upper? He sticks his tongue out a lot, like he is trying to lick somehing.

Attachments

• IMG_1726.JPG
    IMG_1726.JPG
    247.8 KB · Views: 147
I think it takes a few weeks. My hens have had worse breaks than that and they were fine. You might want to isolate him while he heals if he's having trouble keeping weight on.

edited because typo

Last edited:
It depends. Sometimes they grow back sometimes they don’t. Most that I’ve had break like that do not actually grow back completely. I have had a few though so there’s always hope. He’ll be fine regardless it’ll just annoy you to look at him.

It depends. Sometimes they grow back sometimes they don’t. Most that I’ve had break like that do not actually grow back completely. I have had a few though so there’s always hope. He’ll be fine regardless it’ll just annoy you to look at him.
Oh no. I was planning to sell him. Maybe I will sell him as one of those fancy parrot-beak asils.

It's been a month and I guess it's not growing back.
@roosterhavoc is this what your rooster's looked like? Do you think I should trim his lower beak to match the top? Not sure I wanna feed wet food to him twice a day for the rest of his life.
IMG_1781.jpg

It's been a month and I guess it's not growing back.
@roosterhavoc is this what your rooster's looked like? Do you think I should trim his lower beak to match the top? Not sure I wanna feed wet food to him twice a day for the rest of his life.
View attachment 2745943
Nah it’s not going to. He doesn’t need wet food. That’s BS. He can still pick up food with that screwy beak he’ll just have to drop his head a little lower. I would just leave it the way it is.

Back
Top Bottom