Will this chick make it out?

Okay. Incubator is set up and the chick is in it. When I went to get the egg, the membrane is starting to dry out and turning a yellowish brown. How do I know when to help it? It's still chirping, but it's not moved since I last checked on it when I took the picture and posted it.

Okay. Incubator is set up and the chick is in it. When I went to get the egg, the membrane is starting to dry out and turning a yellowish brown. How do I know when to help it? It's still chirping, but it's not moved since I last checked on it when I took the picture and posted it.
Read the article posted above real quick.

Read this article:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

If mine I would very slowly start removing bits of shell and membrane around the beak. If you see blood, stop. I have pictures of a duckling I did if you want to see those as a reference.

I put neosporin on the membrane where the shell is missing. No veins. So I chipped away around where the air cell was marked. The membrane was completely stuck to the chick. I've never seen shrink wrapping before, but I'm assuming that's what happened. The chick is wiggling and cheeping. I'm leaving it alone and watching closely to see if it can wiggle out.

I put neosporin on the membrane where the shell is missing. No veins. So I chipped away around where the air cell was marked. The membrane was completely stuck to the chick. I've never seen shrink wrapping before, but I'm assuming that's what happened. The chick is wiggling and cheeping. I'm leaving it alone and watching closely to see if it can wiggle out.
If it's shrink wrapped it won't be able to get out on its own.
Can you post a new photo?

Here are pictures of one that I assisted:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/assisting-a-squished-duck-egg-pictures.1324478/

It's out!! It kept pushing and pushing and just couldn't get out. I tilted the egg a little and it pushed most of the way out and that's when I saw it was still stuck in the wing/back area. I peeled the membrane off of that area and out if came. Yolk is fully absorbed and it looks great! Thank y'all so much for your help! I would've given the chick until morning to hatch before taking action if y'all hadn't told me otherwise. I really appreciate it!!

It's out!! It kept pushing and pushing and just couldn't get out. I tilted the egg a little and it pushed most of the way out and that's when I saw it was still stuck in the wing/back area. I peeled the membrane off of that area and out if came. Yolk is fully absorbed and it looks great! Thank y'all so much for your help! I would've given the chick until morning to hatch before taking action if y'all hadn't told me otherwise. I really appreciate it!!
:celebrate congrats!

Back
Top Bottom