1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will this type of egg fertilize or hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by I'vegotchickenfever, Mar 15, 2009.

1. I'vegotchickenfever

I'vegotchickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Northwest Florida
    A friend of ours gave us 2 dom hens and a dom roo during the time we were gathering eggs for our first hatch. [​IMG] We put a few of them in the bator and a couple of days later, during breakfast, we noticed that the dom eggs have blood stringing through them, in the white, too. [​IMG] No, they're not meat spots. We didn't candle the eggs, and are wondering - will these even hatch? Are they defective? [​IMG] Are the hens too old? We've had several of the other eggs hatch, and are on day 23 - no doms yets. Thanks so much in advance!!!

2. LocoPollo

LocoPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    I am not sure, but I am wondering if it is veining, as in the eggs were partially incubated by the hens before you collected them?

3. I'vegotchickenfever

I'vegotchickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Northwest Florida
    I am not sure, but I am wondering if it is veining, as in the eggs were partially incubated by the hens before you collected them?

I don't know...we've been collecting twice a day, or at the very least, daily. I didn't think that could happen that fast.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Love my Jesus, love my church, love my family and friends, love my golden retriever, love my CHICKIES!!!

[​IMG]

AMEN!!!!​

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Candle the eggs at 7 days, yes they can hatch. If the eggs were gather daily then the blood was from the hen. Call a blood spot, yes you can eat them if cooked well. Like eating chicken there is alway a little chicken blood in the meat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by