Will turface hurt a chicken?

Abunari

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 1, 2015
I finally set up my coop and run area for my new chickens near my garden. I have several raised beds that have turface particles mixed into the soil for water retention. My future plan was to let them roam my garden periodically but I can't find any info on if they would be ok if they did eat any of the turface.

It's about the size of large chicken grit but it's cacinized clay granules. They do not dissolve. If they are not safe I will need to cover the beds when they are out and about.

Thanks for the help.

I personally would not be worried about it, since turface is a inert material. Its basically just dried out or fired pieces of clay. In my mind not much different than eating dirt. If it had chemicals, fertilizers, etc in it I would be more worried.

I have used Turface for expensive succulent plants & Cacti, but never for chix. As Cowgrl4life has already pointed out, Turface is just fired clay particles. For many applications, it is used to allow better drainage in sports fields, other high-use wet areas. As far as I know, it is pretty inert stuff. If your chickens peck at it, it would likely just add a little more "grit" to their crops temporarily? I really doubt that the manufacturer will have an answer in your case. Unless your chix chow down on it (doubtful), my GUESS it that it's pretty harmless stuff. Kids slide through this stuff (mixed with dirt) at baseball diamonds, etc. I wouldn't think it was toxic.

Thanks yea its just mixed into my raised bed soil really helps it from drying out in the heat of summer and compaction.

Back
Top Bottom