Will Wheaten Ameraucana x Salmon Faverolles lead to a distinctive male/female chest colour when feathering out as chicks?

Offshoreorca

Whale Whisperer
Apr 15, 2020
Nova Scotia
My Coop
My Coop
Hi Everyone!

I have a chick that is a cross from a Salmon Faverolles hen and a Blue Wheaten Ameraucana rooster. It is 2.5 weeks old and chest feathers are beginning to come in as a light cream colour. I was wondering if this cross would be similar to both parent crosses, with light chest feathers indicating females and dark chest feathers indicating males at a relatively youngish age? Or is the genetic potential for this lost during this cross? I tried to search for an answer, but wasn't able to find much information on the web.

Yes, light chest color indicates females with this cross. You will get red wheaten female offspring and salmon (split for gold) male offspring.

Thanks for clarifying this - I plan on having another small hatch of this cross (just had a single egg in the incubator for the last hatch), so I figure it would be good to figure out the genetics behind them and the colouring that will result.

Back
Top Bottom