Will you"Ever Kill AND Eat Your "CHICKENS" Pls tell your ideas to the world no - ARGUMENT pls

Status
Not open for further replies.
All caps and huge fonts is a bit much. Yes, I plan on dispatching my chickens in a couple of years when production slows down. I'm already waiting for a cockerel to come up to weight. My chickens are for eggs, then meat.While I enjoy them, there are no illusions that they are pets.They are livestock. These 12 happy birds are getting a full two years or more of life outdoors and sunshine and will be humanely harvested when it is time. Which is more than I can say for factory birds stuffed in cages for layers or 20,000 to a "house" for broilers which are slaughtered by about 3 months. So, yes, I'll eat them, knowing what they were fed and that they were raised as humanely as possible. And I won't have the least bit of remorse about it. People are too far removed from their food sources, which is one of the major reasons I decided to get chickens and to do organic gardening. Knowing where your food comes from is important and makes me respect the life given to help sustain my own.

There has been a huge resurgence in backyard chicken raising over the last few years. This change is almost totally due to people being interested in being more involved in producing the food they eat. Chickens were the first livestock man domesticated & they are considered a primary source of protein ariund the world. Everybody eats chicken which is why predation is such a problem for poultry keepers. I'm always amused by people who do eat chicken but say they would never eat their own chickens. Kind of like saying murder is wrong but hiring a hit man is fine.

Yes, one of the reasons I have them. And I have raised a couple cornish x from chicks as practice and done it. Enjoyable, no, but I consider it part of the circle of life. Of course, I was raised in an area where butchering was common, and I still have my grandfathers old tools.

Yes, absolutely. My chickens are important to me, and I want their deaths to have meaning. Also, I don't want to think about the short, unhappy life of the chicken I got from the store. Better to know that every part of my chickens' life cycle was good.

Yes I do butcher chickens. Yes I do have a few pets that has names. Depends on what I want and if the hen gave all the eggs for us to eat, it is a fine parting gift from her if we incline to eat her if she dies suddenly, in good weight, etc. If she was in very poor health due to her age, wasting away, then we must do the merciful deed before she suffers.

I put a lot of thought into my response. If you had asked me a couple months ago I would have said yes without hesitation. Now after living with them I don't know if I have the heart. As it is now I cannot afford to feed them when they slow down laying eggs. But I have over a year until that happens. Our intent though was to take care of them well, enjoy the eggs, and harvest for meat in a couple years. I enjoy them so much that I don't know.

Mmmmm yummy.
Yep, I eat the extra roosters. Home grown tastes a 100 times better than factory raised birds.

I am a practical hobbyist raising for eggs n meat. A few that have become pets will be kept around through their old age.

There has been a huge resurgence in backyard chicken raising over the last few years. This change is almost totally due to people being interested in being more involved in producing the food they eat. Chickens were the first livestock man domesticated & they are considered a primary source of protein ariund the world. Everybody eats chicken which is why predation is such a problem for poultry keepers. I'm always amused by people who do eat chicken but say they would never eat their own chickens. Kind of like saying murder is wrong but hiring a hit man is fine.

It is nothing like saying murder is wrong but hiring a hit man is fine!

Have you eaten horse? Would you? Why or why not? People around the world eat horse every day.

Have you eaten dog? Would you? Why or why not? People around the world eat dog every day.

I have eaten horse, they sell it in the grocery stores in Switzerland and I must say it was phenomenal. I would eat it again in a heartbeat. Though, if I owned a horse I would probably not eat it. I would love for someone to eat it, but I probably wouldn't.

I believe that when people make a connection with an animal they, naturally, have reservations when it comes to consuming the animal with which they have had a relationship.

If the person said they could never kill any chicken (theirs or otherwise) but they eat chicken, now that is like saying murder is wrong but hiring a hit man is OK. And when your talking about chicken murder or chicken hit-man, neither one is wrong!

ETA: I have four backyard, city hens and I am planning on eating them. Though it does depend on how long they produce eggs and how long I live in city. If I can get out of town and into some property before these hens reach their end I will probably let them live out their lives wherever we move. Since at that point I will definitely have a tractor full of meat birds and a big coop of layers. I figure letting my city hens live out their days on a nice piece of land is the least I can do for cooping them up in a little backyard for years! Though if we are ready to get new layers before we move then our current flock will be processed and eaten by my family.

Last edited:
Yep....I like them so much better than store bought. I know they have had a good life and enjoyed healthy foods. I try to do this about every 6 months. I believe that is their purpose on Earth. They are here to feed us. My purpose is to give them a good life first!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom