wind break inside coop

redriding

Songster
Aug 31, 2020
british columbia canada
i have 1 girl who’s always insisted on sleeping on the floor in the corner of the coop. i finally decided to stop fighting her and accommodate her with her own little 2x4 roost that’s 5” off the floor. i have thick pine shavings under her as well as extra insulation outside under the floor where she sleeps

now with winter coming my concern is the cold air that comes in the hatch door when i open it early in the morning (430am) before i go to work so they can access their fenced run until i get home and let them out to range. since she’s at ground level and the hatch door opening is at the other end from her (about 10’ away) when i open it i’m sure she’s feels the cold air right away

what can i use to offer her some shelter without blocking her in ? i’ve read mixed reviews about a bale of hay... so i was just hoping for some ideas or feed back what other people use 🐔

thanks !

I wouldn't worry about her. She will move if she's uncomfortable. In the past, my pop door faced towards the prevailing wind. I leaned an old window over it to prevent snow and rain from blowing into the coop. Cut down on the draft as well. What's the negative of a bale of hay? One stratigically placed inside our outside the pop door will do the trick too as well as provide some valuable entertainment in the winter months.

I wouldn't worry about her. She will move if she's uncomfortable. In the past, my pop door faced towards the prevailing wind. I leaned an old window over it to prevent snow and rain from blowing into the coop. Cut down on the draft as well. What's the negative of a bale of hay? One stratigically placed inside our outside the pop door will do the trick too as well as provide some valuable entertainment in the winter months.

that’s what i thought too ! but then i read people saying it’s a bad idea because the hay will retain moisture and also that it will encourage bugs. i pooper scoop everyday though so i don’t think it will be an issue. and good point about her moving if she’s uncomfortable, i never thought of that... thanks for your feedback !

You could build something of a mini covered patio to buffer wind into the door. I believe @aart has something like that?
I live in the Lake Michigan snow belt, 15 miles from the coast,
nasty weather blows in from the west so want to protect the pop door from that wind, snow and ice....so I built.....
....The 'Foyer':
1603454579379.png

such a great solution. i was wondering,,, do chickens actually walk through curtains? ive seen lots of pictures of nest box curtains and i thought maybe i could use the same idea for a my hatch but wondered if they’d through that. maybe i could try by leaving a gap open

Back
Top Bottom