Wind Turbine Coop

tholt03

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 21, 2009
N. Texas
I want to put a wind turbine on my coop to run my lamps and some other electricity. Has anyone ever done this? What do I need to do this? I want it to be stand alone so I think I will need batteries in the circuit. I am just not exactly sure how this works.

If you are going to use batteries, you'll also need a charge regulator. Sealed marine batteries are the best all-weather batteries, but go-cart/golf/cart batteries are the cheapest.

Same set-up as solar, really, just a different power source.

If your coop is located somewhere a wind turbine would work regularly, you really need to put it in a less windy location
wink.png
Seriously.

I do not think it is a practical idea, with technology that exists today. You would end up sinking probably thousands of dollars into something that did not really produce much electricity and not reliably. Same with solar. Makes more sense to spend a lot less just trenching in normal electricity from the house.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Quote:
See I know someone that knows how to build a small wind turbine that would produce enough electricity to do what I need so the cost will be small. I just wasn't sure if i would do it the same way you do with solar panels and batteries. Beside doing my very small part for the enviroment.

my concerns: vibration and/or noise putting the hens off laying a bit. keeping the batteries, electrial hazards out of the hens reach, or of fire.
IMHO, sounds like as good a project as any. DS wants to do solar on the next coop - he has access to cheap/free stuff and is a geek that way.

If you are in a spot that you have a steady wind then you could do it for about $100. Google "brake rotor wind turbine" Get with someone that works with old cars an get a generator controller for an old bug or something around that time. Also use ether 12V camper lights or a cheep inverter an a compact florescent light. Someone with a little wiring knowledge could take the battery out of the equation if the wind is steady enough. It can be done but unless you like projects like this just for the fun of doing it then walk away from the idea. You will have a lot of time in it when you are done.

Unless your friend who builds the turbine gives it to you for free, you're probably looking at well in excess of $600 for just the basics required. Then you have to hassle with keeping batteries in condition, what to do when the wind REALLY blows (do the blades feather, do you have to take the turbine down, or does the wind just knock it over), dealing with ice/snow, maintenance, etc., etc. Further, as others have pointed out, if your chicken coop is in a location with enough wind to reliably power a turbine, you really need to move the coop.

Rent a trencher, run an electric line to the coop and be done with it.

Attractive thought, but as pat, rebel cowboy, and mr peepers all say, easier when all said and done to run an underground line to it and be done with it. You will have SOOOOO much more time and money in it, and may never recover the cost. In fact, it is doubtful that you would really need direct burial grade wire. Ordinary romex house wire would likely last as long as you will need it. I would run 12-2 AWG for a 20 amp line. That way you can have outlets for whatever out there. Power tools, fans, lights, etc. Not only that, but if you are trenching in a line, run a water line out there too. Set a lawn hydrant and you will never regret it. Nothing like having water and electric on site. I did all of that first and was so glad I did.

I have to agree. I ran 12/2 off a 20 amp breaker and while I was trenching, went ahead and ran the water there as well...WOW! Never regret that a day. However, I did run my wire in condit just to insure that I wouldn't dig into it later...
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom