Windows/ventilation/roosts for COLD winter

SJaneDoe

Chirping
Apr 29, 2021
Central Ontario, Canada
So this will be the first winter with this new coop, and I'm realising there's a problem with the design. As you can see in this (old) pic, the roosts are right in front of the windows.
20210602_111300.jpg
I've left the windows open for ventilation all summer unless it's stormy, but I live in Canada and winters can get really cold (-30C), so I obviously can't keep leaving the windows open. I already added a 16"x4" soffit vent to the top of the back wall, but I'm not sure that's going to be enough ventilation for winter. Thoughts or advice?

So this will be the first winter with this new coop, and I'm realising there's a problem with the design. As you can see in this (old) pic, the roosts are right in front of the windows. View attachment 2831242 I've left the windows open for ventilation all summer unless it's stormy, but I live in Canada and winters can get really cold (-30C), so I obviously can't keep leaving the windows open. I already added a 16"x4" soffit vent to the top of the back wall, but I'm not sure that's going to be enough ventilation for winter. Thoughts or advice?
Can you please post pictures of the upper area of the coop on the inside as well as the area under the roofline on the outside?

There is nothing wrong with windows at roost height. I designed my coop with windows all the way around the roosts because summer ventilation is just as important as winter ventilation and they flock needs to stay as cool as possible. Our winters here get just as cold as your do.
Ventilation.png

But you are right that you need adequate winter ventilation. That can be easily achieved by opening up the spaces between the rafters and installing ridge and gable vents.

Thanks for your help! Here's some more pics.
View attachment 2831290View attachment 2831301
Can you back up a bit and get the entire gable side in the shot? How much overhang is there?
You should be able to open up the siding under the eaves and secure 1/2" hardware cloth between the rafters for ventilation.
I'd open up the upper halves of both gable ends and cover the openings with louvered vents.

Can you please post pictures of the upper area of the coop on the inside as well as the area under the roofline on the outside?

There is nothing wrong with windows at roost height. I designed my coop with windows all the way around the roosts because summer ventilation is just as important as winter ventilation and they flock needs to stay as cool as possible. Our winters here get just as cold as your do.
View attachment 2831271
But you are right that you need adequate winter ventilation. That can be easily achieved by opening up the spaces between the rafters and installing ridge and gable vents.
I adore this coop 🐓❤️

Back
Top Bottom