Wing clipping and free rangeing

LandonA

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 15, 2014
Hello, We have four peafowl, A mature four year old pair, a two year old male and a 7 month old. Two years ago we tried to free range our older birds we had 4. Two of the females disapeared we were able to recapute one male and female and repen them. We were thinking about free rangeing again but clipping their wings this time to stop them for flying from our property. We live on a 90 acre property , about 50 acres of this is woodland, but that did not seem to satisfy the birds. Luckly we live an a small community of 200 in Northern Ontario, and the neigbours did not mind having the birds walking around. Will clipping their wings keep them here or will they still walk away? We are considering building a large covered avery of about 1 acre in one of our fields instead of free rangeing, any commets or suggestions would be welcome.

Raising chicken with peacocks will help to fix peacocks on a place!
Breeding peacocks in free range ... very risky ... hatching 28 days is long!
Turkeys make the show!

IMG_5233.JPG

I just got my first peacock a couple weeks ago. He's about 10 months old and I have him with an older guinea hen a 3 month old turkey and about 20 3 month old chicks. I want to let them ALL out to free range so I'm wondering if being with all these other birds will help keep him home? I'm going to wait about another month or so before I let them out. We always lock our birds up at night too, he peacocks go back into a run/coop at night?
Thanks for any advice/help.

Hello, We have four peafowl, A mature four year old pair, a two year old male and a 7 month old. Two years ago we tried to free range our older birds we had 4. Two of the females disapeared we were able to recapute one male and female and repen them. We were thinking about free rangeing again but clipping their wings this time to stop them for flying from our property. We live on a 90 acre property , about 50 acres of this is woodland, but that did not seem to satisfy the birds. Luckly we live an a small community of 200 in Northern Ontario, and the neigbours did not mind having the birds walking around. Will clipping their wings keep them here or will they still walk away? We are considering building a large covered avery of about 1 acre in one of our fields instead of free rangeing, any commets or suggestions would be welcome.

You want to build a 40000 square feet covered area, you are the man!!!! Pictures will be awsome when you're done

Back
Top Bottom