WING-CLIPPING: CRUEL OR NECESSARY? ~ Open Poll~

So, Wing Clipping Is:

• Great! I use it on all the flock. It doesn't hurt them, so what's the prob? I'd encourage it.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • A necessary part of backyard boundaries. I don't have a problem with it.

Votes: 23 15.0%
  • I just use it when I have to. It's not cruel or anything, so I wouldn't discourage it.

Votes: 59 38.6%
  • I only do so on my most troublesome poultry. It must be uncomfortable for them, but safer.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • I don't like it. It restricts their natural tendencies, so not in my backyard. You shouldn't use it.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • NEVER! Its so oppressive, even if it supposedly 'doesn't hurt'. It should be BANNED!

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I've never had to use it, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't. I can't really judge this.

Votes: 45 29.4%

• Total voters
Pics
My flock free ranges, the 2 roosters that I have had, keep the flock close enough to the coop, and has never gone near the farm field or the road.
I haven't had to ever clip wings.
I do know some people clip one wing so that the chickens can still get away from a predator.
If I am ever in the situation that I would have to think about clipping wings, I wouldn't be against it. Maybe a factor that leans me toward not being against it is that I have a tons of perennials that the chickens will free range within, I have trees, and obstacles (benches, tables, gazebos, etc.) that chickens would be able to hide under as they make their way to the run.

My chickens are in a closed coop and run so I don't have to worry about them. My ducks usually stay where they need to stay minis my muscovy squad. But they haven't wandered far off enough to really warrant clipping their wings. I take it as the other ducks have extra space while those three forage my full backyard. I cant wait to open up our yard to the rest of the flock and then add a couple goats lol

To my knowledge there are two methods of wing clipping:

One is performed mostly on guinea fowl, geese and ducks at a very young age amputating part of their wing to prevent them from flying away and join wild geese when migrating.
I do not approve of this method as it is mutilating the bird.

The second method is to just clip the bird's wingfeathers on one side to prevent them from escaping and putting themselves in danger.
If correctly done, this method will not harm the bird and the bird will regrow the lost feathers when moulting.
I sometimes perform it on volatile and/or very curious and adventurous young individuals in their first year. As soon as they start to lay their behaviour changes and it is not longer necessary as they will stay with their flock/rooster.

Back
Top Bottom