wing flapping

moodusnewchick

Songster
11 Years
Feb 15, 2008
CT
what's the behavior behind wing flapping? Every morning my muscovies flap and flap and flap. Sometimes I think they're trying to get meatie bird funk off of them (since they were bought as meat birds, I raised them with the meat chickens...but i think the ducks are going to stay). Sometimes i think they enjoy being leaf blowers--their flaps are quite powerful! But, I'm sure there's some bird logic going on. Any ideas?

gig.gif
I think its just having a good stretch after being in the coop - Mine do it too - its funny - scares the HECK out of the dog!

It actually looks like they're trying to take off but can't cause the run-way is too short.

Mine will do it after taking a bath as well - kinda like a Blowdryer on speed.

Last edited:
LOL, I always think of it as a good morning stretch! Mine run up and down the run (that they share with the chickens) flapping away. I'm not sure who enjoys the activity more... them or me!

my indian runners do this too... always whenever they come out of their pen or after waking up from a nap. I'd agree it's like a good stretch. My ducks also do this peculiar behavoir where they stretch one foot and wing backwards at the same time.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom