Wing Problem!?

Craigboy53

Songster
Jan 19, 2020
Ailsa Craig, Ontario
One of our leghorns, aka ‘Thing One’, has a problem with her wing. Two days ago she started carrying her left wing down at a 45 degree angle, so the tip folds down and is between her legs. First day, it was like that all day. She didn’t seem bothered at all, ran around (free range). Haven’t seen her fly, but they rarely do, and I don’t want to toss her off the deck to see. :eek:
she doesn’t seem to flinch or squawk when I pick her up.
second day, it was fine until the afternoon, when it listed south again. Today, the same, fine in the morning, and now down.

Any suggestions? We’ve never experienced anything like this, and are clueless. Thank you so much!
4E0E469F-4D6C-4BB4-AA23-7E74CDC2F972.jpeg
E68185F4-2213-4487-A5CA-51268322F3AC.jpeg

but... to answer your question... no, she probably does not have a wing problem. just telling the other chickens "you obey me!" or in other words she just is the dominant hen.

Her wing might be sprained.
I actually had a hen sprain her leg, possibly from jumping off her roost or other perch, which lasted for a month or so.
I checked her for other symptoms (bumblefoot, broken bones, etc..) but she didn't exhibit any of these.
Now, a few months later, she is totally fine! No limping or anything.

But keep an eye on her wing, to make sure it is not the early stages of something worse.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to give a bit of poultry drench or a vitamin in her waterer!

Back
Top Bottom