Winter & Chickens...?

Elite Templeton- There is a cheaper flat paneled heater. About half the price I think. I can't remember where we got it but I will ask my neighbors if they remember. Probably E-bay. Shipped from Dallas or Houston. I do want to get a better thermastat to control when it goes off and on. That way it will only be on when needed.
I did'nt notice how much it cost to run because I have so much else plugged in. Dogs water dish, horse stock tank heater, chickens heater water jug, etc...
I would think that a light bulb is cheaper to run. I had them under two red heat lights however and did not like them. Red light still disturbs their sleep cycle and they can see very well with it on. I open the pop door before I leave for work in the morning and they would be up having a party at 5:30 am, pitch black outside.
I watch my chickens and they let me know when they are not happy. Any extreme in temperture, whether hot or cold, is as uncomfortable to them as it is to me. Last winter when the interior of the coop got below 10 deg F they were not happy.

I agree that they should mostly winter fine. I've settled on trying to keep the coop at 40F. I will get a wireless thermometer to add to the system I already have and put it in the coop to monitor the temp.

This way I should not have to worry about frost bite or frozen eggs.

I've already got a heated watering dish.

Thanks for the info about the red lights. I'll have to look into another option, although that ceramic planter sounded like a neat idea. Sounds like I'll just be using a CFL for the supplemental light.

I do like the nesting box heater idea(avoiding frozen eggs and helps heat the coop = 2 for 1
smile.png
).

As far as a roof I was intending on looking into a hoop house as a winter cover. Just setting it up/building it right over the coop. For me though that option is really easy as I only have 3 Hens so they do not require too much space.

Thanks for the redirect Mom 2em All, it looks like theyre's some great info on your thread....I can't wait to get home from work and read it all
big_smile.png

And sorry about the duplicate post, I looked around best I could and didn't see your thread.

My hens don't like the snow. I have a 10 run and 5 feet is roofed over...but the snow blows thru the fenced in sides so it ends up with snow over all the run. The temps were down to around minus 20 ..enough to worry me. I use a heated water base...and a red heat lamp on a timer. I pile up the wood shavings about 7 inches deep. Two small ventilation filters...and a roof vent. NO insulation. I do have the north side of the 10X12 coop enclosed with a tarp and usually keep straw bales (for their nests) stacked on that side. Mine stayed in all winter...one day it went up to 32 and I let them out..there was a little strip of snowless area and they did enjoy getting out. They just avoided the snow areas in run. Next coop I have will be insulated. None of my hens had problems and even the banties did ok.
Next winter I am getting all hardy hens and have sold the banties....then I won't worry so much.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom