Winter coop in Quebec

roxannet

Hatching
9 Years
Nov 17, 2010
Hello all,

This is my first winter with chickens. I live in Quebec where the weather at winter is usually fairly cold. I built a 3x4 partially insulated coop (roof and walls are insulated but the doors are not). We currently have 4 production red and one Pheonix hens.

After reading some posts, and although electricy runs to the coop, I have decided not to heat or light up our coop. The door is always being left open during the day but loosely closed at night to provide for some ventilation. Both the food and the water are located outside of the coop. We use a heated dog bowl to keep the water from freezing. I simply add snow to it in the evening when I go to shut the coop door. It melts overnight and is ready to use in the morning.

We have had a few nights in the -5F so far and the daytime temperature usually stands between 15-23F. Everything is going very well with no frostbite and chickens spending most of their days outside perched in the run (where the sides are not covered to provide for ventilation). Every morning when I go to open the door, they rush outside, regardless of the temperature or snow on the ground. If the winds are too strong, they come back inside their open door shelter.

The coop never smells in the morning but I do clean up the poop daily.

As far as egg laying goes, it has never stopped regardless of diminishing daylight or bitterness cold! Our Pheonix hen, the youngest one, even just started laying last week.

So far, we are very pleased with our choice not to heat the coop. I don't know about January/February coming up though as we can get very cold spells (-20F) for 2-3 days in a row. I have a lamp bulb ready to be installed, just in case...

Here are some pictures of the coop and the chickens on their roost. When the picture was taken, the weather was showing 10F on the thermometer. The chickens looked happy to be outside!

72171_p1000709.jpg

72171_p1000716.jpg

72171_p1000711.jpg

Your coop looks great and I think you should be OK without heat and light. (My chickens laid through their first winter also.) The only thing I'd be concerned about is if there is a way for moisture to escape from inside your coop. That's where frostbite can occur.... with moisture in very cold temps. Is there even a very small opening up near the peak where moisture can get out without letting in too much wind/draft? That would be my only advice. See this thread.... https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=138255

Thank you for your reply. I could open up the little hinged door near the peak. It is south facing and located at the far end from where the birds sleep. I can also control the size of the opening.

My only remaining question would be as to whether or not I should let the girls out on those very very cold days. I have some room for their food indoors but not their water.

Here in NJ, I put water and feed in and outside and their chicken shed door opens in the run so I don't have to worry about predators coming in so I would say if you have their doors open to the run, leave it open a little bit so they can go out or stay inside in the colder days.

Quote:
Ventilation is so very important. I have 6 sq ft for my 22 chooks, in a coop that is 8 x 16. That works out to 1 sq ft per every 4 chooks. I scrape the poop boards daily
sickbyc.gif
and put it in a plastic tote box for spreading on our garden. I would let them have access to the outdoors in all weather except a blizzard. My bunch of wussies have not come out once today just because we have 1" of snow. They do have a covered roost under one end of my coop. I have seen one pic of a coop in Ontario that is open to the south with only chicken wire on the south face. However there are hay bales and piles of hay in there for them to burrow down in also.

Late correction. I just took the treat bucket out there around 11:15 AM and whistled "Rocky Top" (their treat song since they were chicks) About 10 of them exploded out the two pop doors.
lol.png
So some are now outside.

See 'My BYC Page' for pics of my ventilation.

Gerry
cool.png

Last edited:
Mine would go out in almost any but the most miserable blizzard.... but only if they had a place to walk that wasn't snow covered
big_smile.png
I have (in the past) shovelled a square about 20' x 30' down to the grass, and/or you could spread straw (or leaves if you have some bagged) on top of the snow. They would come out and forage around even in cold weather in either of these situations.... but leave the coop door open so they can go in if they get cold.

You have a marvelous setup and apparently very happy chickens. I wouldn't force them to stay inside except, maybe, in a really bad storm with high winds.

Back
Top Bottom