Winter debate, coop door open or closed?

My 2 1/2 year old hens don't like snow. They think it will kill them if they step on it. Even if it's just a dusting.
I have to get out the shovel or snow blower and clear the snow in their pen.
20180218_060504.jpg

They will stay under the raised coop till I clear it.
My new coop is in a covered dog pen. I've got 12 week olds in there.
20181027_064754.jpg

I open the chicken door on both coops at 5am year round if I can get there, as in snow isn't too deep. GC

Last edited:
I rarely, rarely have to deal with snow in my climate. My pop door stays open 24/7 and I open the run door so they can free range about 9:30 AM. Close the run door after they've gone to roost in the evening.

My prevailing winds are out of the west. My coop is somewhat protected by some trees an shrubs on that side. I have a pop door and 4 windows (all on north and south side) that stay open 24/7 365. I'm a believer that ventilation is most important. Unless you have a tiny coop full of hens, if it gets 10 below zero outside the temp inside the coop is going to be about the same, windows open or closed. I have my roost's set up so they are not in line with any of the windows.

By pop doors do you mean screen doors? I'm still new to backyard chickens terminology. All my coops have a big, bulky, windowless door on the outside, and a sturdy screen door on the inside. I can shut one or both.

By pop doors do you mean screen doors? I'm still new to backyard chickens terminology. All my coops have a big, bulky, windowless door on the outside, and a sturdy screen door on the inside. I can shut one or both.
Pop doors are smaller doors that are chicken size.

My east and south facing doors stay open. My north and west facing doors are managed based on the weather. I would never lock my birds in for the winter. My bantams become snowed into their coop and run, but they have the run access always unless we are having wicked winds. Most days I let my birds choose.

Pop doors are smaller doors that are chicken size.

My east and south facing doors stay open. My north and west facing doors are managed based on the weather. I would never lock my birds in for the winter. My bantams become snowed into their coop and run, but they have the run access always unless we are having wicked winds. Most days I let my birds choose.
Ahh okay I do not have one of those. We have pretty rough winters, its hard on all animals, even wild animals suffer. I've always felt I was doing the right thing by locking them up, but my eyes have been opened.

Keep in mind this Nebraskan is on top of a huge hill with no trees. When the wind blows here, it howls. I know when that happens, my girls just find a spot on the farm that isn't as windy and hunker down. They're cold and not doing anything.

I've learned at what temps and winds my girls are active in, and what temps and winds and snow conditions they're just free from the coop lumps in the yard.

My coop is an open air coop and the attached run is enclosed, which when the main door is closed helps warm the coop and both are draft free, but ventilated.

I try my darndest to get them out for even just an hour if the weather permits. It's keeps them from going bonkers. Usually if the weather is borderline, they are happy to come back in.

This year, cold and snow came extra early as did the molt! The dorks.

Glad kyllingene har god egg! (Happy chickens have good eggs!)

Back
Top Bottom