Winter debate, coop door open or closed?

Yup. I put my winter panels up by October 15th, but that's for MY comfort, not theirs. LOL. By November I don't want to work in the cold and the wind. My pop door is open 24/7 so access to the run is always available. The protected run allows for protection from the wind, but allows plenty of ventilation.

I might lock the door at night, but otherwise it's always open. The pop hole is strategically positioned to minimize wind in the coop. They can decide if they want to venture out and how long they want to stay out. Walking around raises body temp. I put all food and water outside. It is winter here most of the year, but the birds venture out almost every day. If I get home from work and it looks as if the food and water has hardly been touched, I will give them a bit of food and water in the coop. Birds smaller than my chickens survive in the wild in the winter without a nice coop to hang out it ;)

Also my ducks really don't seem to care about winter other than the lack of ample swimming water. I tried to lock them up in their house with some fresh straw last night as it dropped below zero F, but had some troubles with the lock in the cold and things had warped a bit and ultimately gave up... they were totally fine with their door open. I rarely shut the duck house door anymore. (they are in a fully fenced run)

I think no matter how long one has chickens, there is always something to learn.

When I first got chickens, we would keep them locked up tight all winter. Doors and windows closed,heat lamp to keep water thawed. Every year, I’d have chickens with frostbite and respiratory issues come spring. For as strong as the ammonia would get, I’m surprised they didn’t all die.

Then I read about ventilation. Now I don’t even put the windows in the coop until it’s close to zero. The pop door stays open day and night unless it’s in the teens below. My birds are much happier and healthier because of it.
If you think about it the same thing happens to people. We over heat our houses, don't get enough fresh air, and exercise in winter and people are sick all winter with the cold and flu.

We personally keep our house cooler in winter 63-65 and we go outside all day. Very seldom do my husband and I get sick where all my siblings with their hot houses are sick multiple times in winter. Too much heat and not enough fresh air isn't good for any critter.

I think no matter how long one has chickens, there is always something to learn.

When I first got chickens, we would keep them locked up tight all winter. Doors and windows closed,heat lamp to keep water thawed. Every year, I’d have chickens with frostbite and respiratory issues come spring. For as strong as the ammonia would get, I’m surprised they didn’t all die.

Then I read about ventilation. Now I don’t even put the windows in the coop until it’s close to zero. The pop door stays open day and night unless it’s in the teens below. My birds are much happier and healthier because of it.
Yes yes the ammonia was awful, I'd be changing out bedding weekly and it was quite pricey. I'm very happy with my new sand bedding, much easier to clean and doesn't smell, yet.
I still use heat lamps over the feed and water to encourage them over there. My first year mistake was putting it in a corner, they all huddled and never moved, dehydrating and starving themselves.
This year I have purchased water de-icers, they seem to be working well. It's been to -2° so far and no ice in the waterers.
I've just purchased one of those wall hanging, low wattage heaters recommended by the chicken chick, or so it says on the box. I'd like to eliminate the lamps by just using those. I have metal coops, so when cold, its cold and when hot, its hot.
If wood was cheaper I'd build one from scratch, but I don't have the funds or time for that, yet. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Well this is my first winter with chickens but having researched for a while I'd decided to have the pop door open every day. The entry is protected from rain/snow and is good for ventilation. I just closed the two "windows" near the roosting area for the winter but will leave the other two open unless something changes. I also have plenty (I hope) of vent holes well above the roost are that aid in moisture reduction. My 16 week old birds don't seem to mind light rain and also seemed unperturbed by the bit of snow we received last week here in Spokane. Looking forward to a fun winter with the birds!

Back
Top Bottom