Winter ducklings

Poodlemum

Crowing
Aug 26, 2021
Northern Utah
Our neighbour’s duck has decided she needs to raise another mass of eggies in this bitter weather 🤦🏽‍♀️ She raised over 30 ducklings this summer and lost them all to dogs, chickens, hawks… What type of conditions do khaki Campbells need in the winter? How soon can they go out? I don’t really want them in our backyard (our dog would eat them too, too messy, etc), but love having them in the front yard. Their ducks are basically neighbourhood ducks and never stay at their owners house anyway

Our neighbour’s duck has decided she needs to raise another mass of eggies in this bitter weather 🤦🏽‍♀️ She raised over 30 ducklings this summer and lost them all to dogs, chickens, hawks… What type of conditions do khaki Campbells need in the winter? How soon can they go out? I don’t really want them in our backyard (our dog would eat them too, too messy, etc), but love having them in the front yard. Their ducks are basically neighbourhood ducks and never stay at their owners house anyway
I take this to mean she hasn't hatched them yet? I know she's not your duck, but is it possible to take away the eggs? Winter is really a terrible time for babies. They surely couldn't go out until they were fully feathered, and even then they would need protection.

I take this to mean she hasn't hatched them yet? I know she's not your duck, but is it possible to take away the eggs? Winter is really a terrible time for babies. They surely couldn't go out until they were fully feathered, and even then they would need protection.
No, she’s only now started setting. We didn’t know she’d started another nest or we’d have taken them. Hoping to candle them and if they’re not developing yet, I’ll pull them then. I don’t want to build a whole new coop in this weather :/

No, she’s only now started setting. We didn’t know she’d started another nest or we’d have taken them. Hoping to candle them and if they’re not developing yet, I’ll pull them then. I don’t want to build a whole new coop in this weather :/
Totally understand that. I wouldn't want to either!

They’re not our ducks. We were so excited about the first batch and told them, so they came and caught them after they hatched. Then went on vacation and put them in a small dog kennel with their chickens. Most got caught between the fence and the kennel, the chickens killed some, and their dog got a bunch too. We kept the next batch secret (the eggs were already very developed or we wouldn’t have let her sit), but it was closer to their yard and we weren’t home when they hatched. So they tried keeping them inside and let her keep two, but found a bunch of feathers in their backyard. Gave her more, etc etc until they were all gone. The adults have a lovely time wandering the neighbourhood and have been safe for four years now, but this is the first time they realised they could hide eggs here. The neighbours keep them for eggs
I believe very strongly that if a person cannot protect their animals, they shouldnt have them 😕
Poor babies...
What does she have in terms of shelter? You say they just roam from home and are basically neighbourhood ducks?

Why let her sit and hatch if they are going to be killed? Ducks need protection from predators and winter weather. Someone needs to take responsibility so she doesn't hatch in this winter weather and has a safe place to sleep at night.
They’re not our ducks. We were so excited about the first batch and told them, so they came and caught them after they hatched. Then went on vacation and put them in a small dog kennel with their chickens. Most got caught between the fence and the kennel, the chickens killed some, and their dog got a bunch too. We kept the next batch secret (the eggs were already very developed or we wouldn’t have let her sit), but it was closer to their yard and we weren’t home when they hatched. So they tried keeping them inside and let her keep two, but found a bunch of feathers in their backyard. Gave her more, etc etc until they were all gone. The adults have a lovely time wandering the neighbourhood and have been safe for four years now, but this is the first time they realised they could hide eggs here. The neighbours keep them for eggs

Back
Top Bottom