Winter Egg Production?

Different people keep chickens for different reasons, that's for sure. There isn't anything wrong with that.

I am of the same mindset. I figure Mother Nature gave them internal calendars for a reason and I ain't tampering with it. They have plenty of other stress in the winter without me hovering over them to fill my fridge with eggs.
hide.gif
Okay, I'm going back into the corner now.
Got room for another person?
hide.gif

Different people keep chickens for different reasons, that's for sure. There isn't anything wrong with that.
You are absolutely right, and I'd never force my way of raising chickens on anyone. I am no expert and this is my first year with chickens myself. But the question was asked and I felt that the OP deserved the respect of hearing from some of us who prefer not to use lights and why just as much as he/she deserves those good answers on how to use artificial lighting in the best way possible.
wink.png

I used a red compact florescent last winter. There was no picking, or at least any that resulted in any damage. Unfortunately, I don't know if it brought my new hens into lay early (late January) or they just started laying because of the already increasing day length and their youth. (it was their first season) This year I decided to split the difference and take some of the advice I received here. I'm going to wait out their molt. As soon as it appears that the worst of it is over, I'm going to start gradually increasing their day length with a nifty new red led solar powered system I purchased from Yeti solar.

I figure their molt won't be over until we are nearly at winter solstice anyway, so I will just be accelerating the effects of already lengthening days. My flock has a tough job. They must be both pets and producers for my family of six. We don't mind a little extra oatmeal and cream of wheat over the winter, but they can't completely go on vacation.

I did not ask for opinions on weather or not to use extra light. I have obviously already decided that for myself. I only wanted to know if red light would work or not and have still not found a definitive answer.

I did not ask for opinions on weather or not to use extra light. I have obviously already decided that for myself. I only wanted to know if red light would work or not and have still not found a definitive answer.
I read somewhere, I can't remember where, that the light needs to be white incandescent light or fluorescent light with the newer digital ballasts(slow flicker rate on old ballasts very bad for birds) to stimulate the pineal gland.

You'd have to do some research to find the info on whether red light might work and how well if at all.
I'd be interested in anything you find.

I would have sworn I read about using a red bulb, in several different articles, last year. So this year I buy a red bulb and now I can find no mention of it anywhere. I think I will switch back to a white light.

Last edited:
I would have sworn I read about using a red bulb, in several different articles, last year. So this year I buy a red bulb and now I can find no mention of it anywhere. I think I will switch back to a white light.

You probably read about using a red bulb in the brooder. The chicks can peck at each other & do not sleep as well if a bright white light is on 24/7.

I remember reading an article where they studied diff types/colors of light used in commercial egg factories. The old fashion incandescent bulbs use more electricity, generate heat, and can be a fire hazard. LEDs were OK but those fluorescent bulbs are actually harmful to birds. There are 2 types of white LEDs. One is bluish (brighter) and the other is yellowish (looks more natural but not as bright). I can't remember which was preferred but both worked as far as egg production. Many people use those LED rope lights sold at Christmas.

Last year I did not use supplemental light b/c my pullets were too young to lay. They started in Jan/Feb. Now they're molting & my new pullets should be starting any day. I was wondering do the "winter hardy" breeds (specifically Orpingtons) lay without supplemental lighting? If the Easter Eggers & Legbars fail to produce during winter, I'd like to have at least a few eggs per week.

Back
Top Bottom