winter feedind

Quote:
Sorry, this is not good advice. They basically need the same feed in summer as winter. A good regular meal at bedtime is good but it doesn't need to be warm and it shouldn't be just corn. Corn is chicken candy and has much less nutritive value than regular feed. It is a myth that corn keeps them warm; food keeps them warm, good food.

If your hens are of laying age and laying they should be on layer feed. If they are too young to lay they should be on a feed like grower or flock raiser. You can also feed a flock raiser type feed and offer oyster shell separately if they are laying or of laying age.

It is not a myth about corn keeping birds warmer. Watch wild waterfowl, especially geese. They will flock to corn fields during cold westher and right before a long flight. On warmer days without any planned migration they will hit pastures, short cut alfalfa, bean fields and other crop choices. Of course the wild ones like corn a lot but will really target corn when cold. The exception is snow geese. They like corn but prefer soybeans and winter wheat primarily because they are grubbers and enjoy the dried roots of mature soybeans and of course the young winter wheat shoots.

Corn has carbs and that is the key to warmth. There is several foods that will boost metabolism such as oatmeal and hot sauce. I would give chickens oatmeal, but not hot sauce.

jaj121159,

Some of the feeding choice changes maybe due to birds stocking up on energy (stored as fat) for a prolonged flight, not so much for keeping warm in short term. Another variable is how difficult is to to grub frozen ground for tubers and like compared to going after corn above ground. Of the forage choices your waterfowl have, corn maybe the best option they have, but may not be best option possible. I suspect the birds target other feeds items so overal intake approximates ideal.

Quote:
I think some of the confusion comes from our summer conversations. Folks will chime in with something to the effect of "DON'T feed your birds corn in the heat of summer because it is a hot feed and will make them even hotter".

That is the part that is a myth. Yes, corn is a "hot" feed in the sense that it has a lot calories from carbohydrates, but the birds only eat to satisfy their caloric needs. In the heat of summer they will eat less because their energy needs are lower. Also, the process of digestion has a heat increment to it. Carbohydrates have a lower heat increment in the digestion process than do proteins, so in the past I have cited studies and made the argument that some added corn in the summer can actually help reduce heat stress when they are under duress.

As far as corn keeping the birds "warmer" in the winter, "warmer" may not be the correct term. They need more energy to maintain their normal body temperature in cold weather than they do in warm weather. Energy-dense feed stocks like corn, wheat, or fats help give them that extra energy needed for maintenance in cold weather, but don't necessarily keep them any warmer than their normal body temperature range.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom