winter feedind

Quote:
Cayenne and related spices do not create warming in the since of heat generation, rather it chemically affects nerves associated with sensing heat.

When feeding to fish, I mix into formulation mix immediately prior to running through meat grinder where noodles are formed. Noodles dried, broken up and ready to eat as pellets. Pellet color very much affected by spice even at levels below what I fed out. Spice level did not influence feed intake in slightest. Burned my mouth big time when I tried to eat one pellet after seeing bass not affected and thought I possibly screwed up by not adding enough spice.

Quote:
0.5% good starting point, assuming they will eat it. Should a fairly rapid affect on yolk coloration. Owing to cost, backing off on inclusion rate to control is wise. Do you have ability to grind grain?

Salmon mentioned above even better source, in part because oil content improves uptake.

I feed my chickens scratch mixed with laying mash
droolin.gif
, they can't get enough of it! My chickens lay year around
ya.gif
!!!!!

I gave them some of their food a while back with a tab. of cayenne pepper in it to see if it would discourage my dogs from eating their poop but just wasn't sure of the ratio so didn't continue.

Quote:
Maybe 10-20% depending upon how much more they are eating.

There's no need to break out the measuring cups or scales though. If you have a few birds throw them a few handfuls of corn or scratch every now and again or top dress their feed with a handful or two. Just don't overdo it to the point that they aren't eating the regular ration.

I go in rather in depth, but it needn't be rocket science. Just realize that they can benefit from some high energy supplements in the winter.

Quote:
This solves a puzzle for me! I couldn't figure out why my birds were suddenly wolfing down the grains!!!! All these BOSS and other seeds left behind!! I was thinking- it's like they want more "WHEAT!!!! Wheat!!!"- They were saying to me with their eating choices.

Well, I am definitely going to include more grains then.

Ok, this morning I included just a huge pile of wheat for them to see what they would do- mixed in with their regular feed. There was a "whoosh" at the feeders and the feed levels sunk unbelievably fast.

It was amazing.

Last edited:
Quote:
Sorry, this is not good advice. They basically need the same feed in summer as winter. A good regular meal at bedtime is good but it doesn't need to be warm and it shouldn't be just corn. Corn is chicken candy and has much less nutritive value than regular feed. It is a myth that corn keeps them warm; food keeps them warm, good food.

If your hens are of laying age and laying they should be on layer feed. If they are too young to lay they should be on a feed like grower or flock raiser. You can also feed a flock raiser type feed and offer oyster shell separately if they are laying or of laying age.

It is not a myth about corn keeping birds warmer. Watch wild waterfowl, especially geese. They will flock to corn fields during cold westher and right before a long flight. On warmer days without any planned migration they will hit pastures, short cut alfalfa, bean fields and other crop choices. Of course the wild ones like corn a lot but will really target corn when cold. The exception is snow geese. They like corn but prefer soybeans and winter wheat primarily because they are grubbers and enjoy the dried roots of mature soybeans and of course the young winter wheat shoots.

Corn has carbs and that is the key to warmth. There is several foods that will boost metabolism such as oatmeal and hot sauce. I would give chickens oatmeal, but not hot sauce.

Back
Top Bottom